I'm on my way back into the Army

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Hello folks,

Some of the other members are already aware of this, but since now things are more definite I thought I'd let the rest of you all know.

I'm taking an admin bust to Sergeant First Class (E-7) and going back into the Army. All that remains to be done is for me to take the physical and pass it. I don't have any real concern about that as I am in good health and exercise regularly.

I could've waited until called up or asked to be activated as a major, but that seemed to me less important than the fact that my old battalion has been activated and is on their way to Iraq. I'd been thinking about this for some time but those men are like family to me. In the National Guard the experience is more like UK and Commonwealth countries in that you stay with the same unit for years and years. I was active duty for 6 years but I served 16 years with my NG battalion. I know these men well, I know their sons now serving and in a few cases even the grandsons of those I've served with. I still have something to offer and years of life still able to serve. So I'm on my way. I'll be sure to let you all know more as the process continues.

Good Luck, But you should have been activated as your current rank, but it is up to you, my only question to you is will you when your tour is over be promoted back to your former rank.

We shall truly miss you, Serve with Honor my friend...

Thanks for your good wishes. :)

It's been indicated that I may even yet be activated at the rank I retired at. What may be hard for some to grasp is that the rank, though important, does not measure up to my desire to be with my comrades in these most difficult of times. This is family - you do what it takes when it comes to family. I may be booted back up to field grade at some point. That too has been indicated.

In any event, you retire for good at the highest rank held. So when my days are finally done I will still be a Major unless of course somebody decides to make me a Lt. Colonel. ;)

Charge, I know exactly what you're saying about the unit being family. I know the feeling well. Now that your unit is being deployed will you have to catch up with them in Iraq or will you be able to deploy with them? I guess it all depends on how long it takes to process you back in and when your unit's deployment date is, huh?
In any event, Godspeed my friend and keep us posted if you get the chance.

Top, I've been assured that I will be with my unit. That's all I know for sure at this time. When I know more I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for your kind thoughts and I'll be keeping folks posted that's for sure. It'll be weeks before I go anyplace that much I do know. Most likely I'll go to Shelby first.

I'll miss you too, rotc. I'll drop in from time to time though as I get the chance.

Hi,

Good Luck With Whatever you do ...............
Hug.gif

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Charge_7 said:
Hello folks,

Some of the other members are already aware of this, but since now things are more definite I thought I'd let the rest of you all know.

I'm taking an admin bust to Sergeant First Class (E-7) and going back into the Army. All that remains to be done is for me to take the physical and pass it. I don't have any real concern about that as I am in good health and exercise regularly.

I could've waited until called up or asked to be activated as a major, but that seemed to me less important than the fact that my old battalion has been activated and is on their way to Iraq. I'd been thinking about this for some time but those men are like family to me. In the National Guard the experience is more like UK and Commonwealth countries in that you stay with the same unit for years and years. I was active duty for 6 years but I served 16 years with my NG battalion. I know these men well, I know their sons now serving and in a few cases even the grandsons of those I've served with. I still have something to offer and years of life still able to serve. So I'm on my way. I'll be sure to let you all know more as the process continues.

How about your civilian work? Who is going to do it while you are away? Good luck on your chosen way.

In civilian life I have been a securities investor. I made enough doing that to be able to retire from fulltime work. I don't sit on my duff all day though. I do many volunteer work things which I won't list because I don't want to throw a spot light on me or come off as "mister do-gooder". I also train German Shepards in their initial training before they go off to police agencies and handicapped providers. My fiancée (soon to be my wife) will carry on with that work while I'm gone.

It'll be some weeks before I'm gone, and you may even hear from me once I'm back in uniform fairly regularly as I'll most likely be stateside for some time to come. Probably be at Camp Shelby.

Back