IDF AFVs?

SHERMAN

I know you guys are going to laugh at me...But I have a Q about Israel....More of asking your opinion....Why dose the IDF have no Infantry AFVs? We have alot of APCs, some of the best you can get...But nothing of the Bradly kind of vehicles...Why is that?

While the Merkava tank has excellent overwatch and MOUT capabilities, there is just no way to replace a good AFV. AFVs are highly mobile, can be retrofitted with a variety of weapons (see: M6 Bradley Linebacker SFV and FIST M7 Bradley). They are excellent in maneuver warfare and are unpredictable (it is hard to assess which IFV has MANPADs or personnel ATGMs). It is the U.S. Army SOP to send the BFV in before the tanks in city warfare, and it has proved successful, insofar as to demand faster and better AFVs like the Stryker.

That said, I don’t have the slightest idea why Israel doesn’t have AFVs. The tactic of combined arms is a successful one.

AFV stands for Armored Fighting Vehicle, which is a generic term for any kind of combat vehicle. You are asking why Israel doesn't field any Infantry Fighting Vehicles, or IFVs. They have plenty of Armored Personal Carriers though.

It's because the Merkava accomplishes the job just fine.

And the Styker wasn't adopted for it's urban combat abilities, which aren't greater then the Bradley. But because they needed a C-130 portable vehicle, which they didn't get.

dont IDF apc's double as IFV?

achzarit4.jpg

zelda.jpg

check out those APC's, they have a number of machine guns mounted on them

MBT's are lovely and powerful, but tanks like the Bradley --- combining lots of capabilities into one single, highly adapable vehicle --- is going to be increasingly important as time goes on. I do find it VERY puzzling that IDF doen't have any.

Probably it's dangerous to have missile launchers hanging out on armored vehicles in a place where the Army has to deal with rioters throwing stones at the armored vehicles.

Those stones may damage the missile tubes, I suppose? ;)

Probably if these armored vehicles with 25mm or 30mm guns have to deal with rioters armed with stones, it's not going to look too good on the TV news.

It'll be like bullying.

You wouldn't actually use 30mm gun on a rioting crowd ... well, unless they were really pissing you off and you were having a bad day. :lol: J/K

The important aspect is adaptability. Fine if you want to fully outfit a Bradley or equivalent as a riot suppressor, but its kindof a waste. I unno.

the main problem is fighting with militia and terrorists...Also, Israel dose have regular armys around it...A 25 mm can be very usefull in some situations.

well sherman man,from my opinion its probably cuz ISF doesnt need them
they have APC's and bulldogers which i particulary like :lol:

godofthunder9010 said:
MBT's are lovely and powerful, but tanks like the Bradley --- combining lots of capabilities into one single, highly adapable vehicle --- is going to be increasingly important as time goes on. I do find it VERY puzzling that IDF doen't have any.

The Bradley isn't a tank.

The Bradly is a range of AFVs, depending on the diffrent weapons carryed. But the version relevant here is an IFV. Seriously though, imagin an Achzarit with a 25mm and a Tow launcher....

israel has a bit over 400 IFV's
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/vehicles_1948.html

i dont know if they are that important though... i mean every tank has a a commanders MG, a coaxial mg for infantry, and morter for dug in positions...

why would u need a 30 mm to kill a man, when a normal mg can do it?

*edit: AIVF's... IVF's are in the hundreds im sure...

Back