IDF AFVs?

--

October 10th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: IDF AFVs?

I know you guys are going to laugh at me...But I have a Q about Israel....More of asking your opinion....Why dose the IDF have no Infantry AFVs? We have alot of APCs, some of the best you can get...But nothing of the Bradly kind of vehicles...Why is that?
October 10th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Maybe they think they'd rather have 1 tank, than 4 AFVs.
October 10th, 2004  
ravensword227

While the Merkava tank has excellent overwatch and MOUT capabilities, there is just no way to replace a good AFV. AFVs are highly mobile, can be retrofitted with a variety of weapons (see: M6 Bradley Linebacker SFV and FIST M7 Bradley). They are excellent in maneuver warfare and are unpredictable (it is hard to assess which IFV has MANPADs or personnel ATGMs). It is the U.S. Army SOP to send the BFV in before the tanks in city warfare, and it has proved successful, insofar as to demand faster and better AFVs like the Stryker.

That said, I donít have the slightest idea why Israel doesnít have AFVs. The tactic of combined arms is a successful one.
--
October 11th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

AFV stands for Armored Fighting Vehicle, which is a generic term for any kind of combat vehicle. You are asking why Israel doesn't field any Infantry Fighting Vehicles, or IFVs. They have plenty of Armored Personal Carriers though.

It's because the Merkava accomplishes the job just fine.

And the Styker wasn't adopted for it's urban combat abilities, which aren't greater then the Bradley. But because they needed a C-130 portable vehicle, which they didn't get.
October 21st, 2004  
rocco

dont IDF apc's double as IFV?

check out those APC's, they have a number of machine guns mounted on them
October 21st, 2004  
SHERMAN

Yes, but they make very poor IFVs....You need a bigger gun...Like the Bradly or BMP....
October 21st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

MBT's are lovely and powerful, but tanks like the Bradley --- combining lots of capabilities into one single, highly adapable vehicle --- is going to be increasingly important as time goes on. I do find it VERY puzzling that IDF doen't have any.
October 21st, 2004  
SAINT

Probably it's dangerous to have missile launchers hanging out on armored vehicles in a place where the Army has to deal with rioters throwing stones at the armored vehicles.

Those stones may damage the missile tubes, I suppose?
October 21st, 2004  
SHERMAN

LOL....I dont know about the need for AT missiles on them, but at least a 25 or 30 mm cannon...
October 21st, 2004  
SAINT

Probably if these armored vehicles with 25mm or 30mm guns have to deal with rioters armed with stones, it's not going to look too good on the TV news.

It'll be like bullying.