Identify these planes!

CanadianCombat said:
I was told that in China they don't have copyright laws so they just copy everyones designs.

Didn't you read Forrest Gump's link http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/fighter/j10.asp ?

It says that China legally bought the Lavi design from Israel (which in turn was made with a great deal of US help)
5.56X45mm said:
No, that's bad. Becuase if you design something. They will take the design. Make millions of them, and put you out of business. Comminust Copying Copy Righted material is bad.
The US gave Israel the technology and money to build the Lavi and officially renounced any legal rights to the technology. Therefore Israel is legally allowed to sell it to whoever they want.

In fact it seems Israel is seeling quite a bit of US-designed technology to "the Chicoms", as you call them: http://www.nti.org/db/china/imisr.htm

Last edited:
5.56X45mm said:
No, that's bad. Becuase if you design something. They will take the design. Make millions of them, and put you out of business. Comminust Copying Copy Righted material is bad.
I read on CNN.com about a year ago that Microsoft either shut down its software firms in Asia or stopped selling software direct to Asian firms because piracy was so uncontrollably rampant. The Chinese government may say that they are against it and are "making every effort to stop piracy" but looking at the J-10, their "Hummer", and their new assault rifle (forgive me, I forgot its name but I believe it was supposed to be a combination of the FA-MAS and the M16-A1), they are benefitting from not enforcing international copyright laws. I know the J-10 plans were from a joint project between them and the Israelis but the Israelis ditched out and sold the plans to them due to American pressure, but that still makes the J-10 an American design because the US sold/gave Israel their planes and Israel builds upon those.

5.56 made a comment earlier that I would like it comment on. I too noticed that the jeep said Hummer on the photo, but most likely it too is a fake.

Pirates in China will copy anything including Company logos to pass fakes over as the real McCoy. My sis is a journalist in the fashion industry, she was telling me not too long ago that on designer clothes the pirates will actually copy the way the stich is sown in the guinuine article. It used to be that fakes were just crass copies but like art theft it now it takes a bloody expert to tell a fake and a real apart. Its essentially cloning rather than copying...

Well, I went to China the other day and saw them selling LV wallets for RMB$50! It was a grade 1 immitation! And yet the police who saw it, just walked past the store!

zander_0633 said:
Well, I went to China the other day and saw them selling LV wallets for RMB$50! It was a grade 1 immitation! And yet the police who saw it, just walked past the store!

Hahaha this reminds me of my summer vacation there like 5 years ago. I was shopping with my cousins around the streets of Shanghai and we were looking at this street vendor with a selection of really good Playstation games with this on-duty police officer (I think he was on-duty... he was wearing his uniform) next to us browsing through them too. We bought a good number of games (you can't beat 50 cents [USD] per game), but needless to say, they were all pirated (we were aware of this) and only about 6 of the 25 games we bought still function to this day.

Welcome to my world. This is my business, what I deal with everyday... Intellectual property rights. What do you wanna know???
:)

The concept of intellectual property is completely alien to the mainland Chinese psyche. Its like trying to explain quarks to a truck driver, not because of low intelligence but absolutely no frame of reference with which to grasp the concept. The entire education system is based on mimicking what you are given so to think of something as being not fair to copy makes no sense it is something the mainland Chinese never encounter in their lives.

Im not sure if that is a J-10.......after looking at the photo, i believe it might be a J-11 their newest fighter based off the SU-27. Im not really sure though....

Here in the Mainland, yes, the Chinese system of education is based on rote memorisation and copying. To say this is wrong is a judgement based on a completely different value system. Think of it in these terms... Chinese has approximately 60,000 characters and to be literate you need to know how to write 6,000 or them, how else would you learn it in a classroom of 60 students and 1 teacher? You have to copy it from the person next to you. Its an entirely different culture.

bulldogg said:
Here in the Mainland, yes, the Chinese system of education is based on rote memorisation and copying. To say this is wrong is a judgement based on a completely different value system. Think of it in these terms... Chinese has approximately 60,000 characters and to be literate you need to know how to write 6,000 or them, how else would you learn it in a classroom of 60 students and 1 teacher? You have to copy it from the person next to you. Its an entirely different culture.
Well, there goes the lack of ingenuity and innovation.... Can't say much about an educational system where if you don't get an extremely good grade on the high school exam you're gonna have a hell of a hard time getting into a college at all, and you're probably going to head off to acrobatic school or be a farmer.... unless you have rich parents of course where you'll be sent an American boarding school or to the US itself to attend one of those highly publicized and overrated colleges.

Back