Humvee replacement set for 2008

There won't be another war for quite a while. America is becomming a little war weary. Bush doesn't have political capital to start another war and his successor will win on a platform of hard on terrorism, light on our fighting men.

Unless some nation does something stupid and invades an ally of ours, Iraq will fester and that's it. That's why location-specific vehicle design is stupid, we need vehicles that can adapt to warfare in any environment. That's why I say don't toss the humvee for an urban combat vehicle because it'll start sinking if our next war is in rice pattys.

no, he's still in high school, as am i, on the most part, i believe that any advance in technology should be used if it is more efficent and can save lives.

I would say keep the humvee as a general purpose vehicle as was mentioned before. But it would be good thinking to develop a tactical vehicle that can be midified with little effort to be used in any environment. i.e. Snow, Tropical, Urban, Desert, Forest, etc etc. Make it easily modified rather than the long laborious process it is now to uparmor humvees.

Ditto Marinerhodes.

There was another thread with the same topic, so I'm going to post my reply I made in that one here.

The HUMVEE was created during the Cold War, if I remember correctly they made it just wide enought fit through Europian train tunnels. But, the whole point is that the HUMVEE isn't a combat vehicle, it is a transport truck, just like the jeeps of WWII, Korea and Vietnam. The HUMVEE has had a good run, but her job was to transport and move troops.

I have a question, How do you uparmor a four ton vehicle to withstand a 500 lb. round bomb that can filp a twenty ton APC? The truth is you can't.

The Military should keep the HUMVEE, not as a combat platform but as a light and medium duty truck and transportation platofrm.

The High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) is the replacement vehicle for the M151 series jeeps. The HMMWV's mission is to provide a light tactical vehicle for command and control, special purpose shelter carriers, and special purpose weapons platforms throughout all areas of the modern battlefield.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/hmmwv.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/hmmwv-specs.htm

I'm also going to quote Whispering Death from the other thread,

My opinion is right in line with Seaman.

I think the HUMVEE is still a very good, strong, vehicle. The problem is that ONE of the jobs it is being asked to do, it is underperforming.

Therefore, get a vehicle to do that ONE job and keep the humvee for all the rest. I think I've been writing about the need for an urban combat vehicle since I got here since the HUMVEE has been proven to be relatively ineffective at patrol.

However, there are a great many tasks for the humvee and that the humvee does splendidly.

I just hope they do a better job than what they did with the Stryker. That has so many design flaws and things they messed up trying to change its become a waste of money.

Limeyfellow said:
I just hope they do a better job than what they did with the Stryker. That has so many design flaws and things they messed up trying to change its become a waste of money.

Nope. That was the first batch, I have spoken to a few Stryker commanders and crew members on other forums and they say that they are great IFV's.

Also, I might point out that the Stryker IAV is a copy of the Candian LAV-III.

IMO the Stryker has done great, the only variant having real problesm is the MGS.

HUMVEE is good vehicle,but not good at patrorl.
North korean special force is good at sudden strike.

Back