How soon do i need a recruiter????

Lady liberty

im entering as a junior in high school this year and i was wondering how soon do i need to talk to a recruiter. i know this is what i want to do no questions about it, so there's no way im going to change my career choice or anything.
Thanks

:rambo: :camo: :rambo: :camo: :rambo: :camo: :rambo: :camo: :rambo: : :camo: :rambo: :camo:

I'd call on Monday. School is starting pretty soon for everyone and the earliest a Junior can enlist is on Sept. 20th and that's if your 17.

ETA: Yeah Monday might be smart, you want to ask questions about the ASVABs, what you're looking into ... what are the requirements for enlisting.

See you can either take the ASVABs at your High School (mine does the ASVAB - 2x a year) or at the MEPS center - the one here in Butte is on computers.

But it might work even better if you can figure out a time when you can slide into the recruiter's office, so you can talk face-to-face. I've been talking to mine for about a year and I'm just getting to a 'meeting' with him - in August!

But do some research online and then take the MOSs to him. It all depends on your ASVABs, some jobs are not available to 17 year olds, for example the 97B, you have to be 19 years old and six months.

So do research, call and set up a meeting.

YES I WILL BE 17 BY SEPTEMBER 20TH, BUT YOU SEE,IM NOT PLANNING TO ENLIST. IM PLANNING ON GOING IN AS AN OFFICER. ON MY LAST POST I ASKED IF I NEEDED A RECRUITER FOR THIS SITUATION AND THE ANSWER WAS YES, AND THAT THEY HAVE OFFICER RECRUITERS. SO SENSE I HAVE TO GO TO COLLEGE BEFORE I JOIN I DIDNT KNOW WHEN IS THE RIGHT TIME TO LOOK INTO A RECRUITER.

AND YES I AM PLANNING ON JOING THE AIR FORCE...IT'S THE BEST ISNT IT??? WELL, I GUESS IT'S ALL A MATTER OF OPINION.

THANKS GUYS :biggun:

I asked a friend who is in the USAF:

To *enter* the Air Force as an officer, you MUST already have your bachelor's (4-yr) degree. Without it, the only way to get in to the Air Force is to enlist.

Once you have enlisted and have completed your technical training, you can take college courses during your off-duty time - and have the Air Force pay for nearly all of the tuition. As you approach completing your bachelor's degree, you can look into commissioning programs.

And if you want the Air Force to pay for college while you attend, but don't want to enlist, you can apply for ROTC, in which you attend class fulltime and serve just a few days per month in uniform and learn about military science and studies. When you complete your degree, you then serve as an officer for (IIRC) four years.

So you have two choices. Still I'd contact that recruiter. Plus it might be considered "rude" in some circles if you type in all caps.

I know about the 4 year bachelor's degree and ROTC (im in afjrotc at my high school :lol: ) and all that, but whats commissioning programs?
thank you very much!

p.s. and sorry for the caps.

I might help here.

I was in both the Army and the Air Force (Air Guard).

I was enlisted, got my degree, and decided to become an officer. I had to take the AFOQT. It wasn't that tough and the bar is set pretty low, especially for pilots (unnerving, I know, and one of the reasons I chose to jump out of perfectly good airplanes).

I had to go before a commissioning board. Essentially, they made sure all the ducks were in a row and you had the right frame of mind. I wouldn't call it a rubber stamp, because some people were not recommended.

I had to take a commissioning physical. This is where I got knocked out. They found I had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with outflow tract obstruction. I never knew because I am asymptomatic (essentially, I live a normal life with no effects). Tried for the waiver, denied, handed my hat 12 years in (no pension of any type).

Had I passed, I would have to go through OTS. The Army's version is brutal from what I hear. When I was at Benning for jump school, I saw them and actually felt sorry for them. The Air Force is much more laid back. So, they put you through the training school and off to the tech school. The follow-on school is where you learn your new job, Depending on your career, it can be as short as six weeks to as long as a year or more.

Without a doubt, the easiest way to get a commission is to plug through college for four years (have them pick up the tab for at least the last two through a ROTC scholarship).

On a related note, I switched to the Air Guard because of quality of life. In the PA Army guard, you train at Ft. Indiantown Gap. Big, open bays that were too hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. Chow was mediocre. Never went anywhere interesting.

In the Air Guard (as enlisted), I had a room, sometimes without a roomate, with air conditioning, maid service, TV/VCR, cable. Food was slightly better. Trips were plentiful. Got to go to Midland, Texas (had a horrible time), Budapest (for the Kosovo Campaign), Puerto Rico (good and bad), and so on. You can jump on flights to Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, etc.

So, in summary, go to college. Work hard, get an AF ROTC scholarship. Join the Air Force. See the world.

WOW! Thanks for all that information, it was very interesting and useful!
Thank You

:2guns: :9mm: :m16shoot: :biggun: :2guns: :9mm: :biggun: :rambo: :m16shoot:

Back