How do you expect to improve your unit in 2005?

Gorfour20 said:
nulli secundus said:
We wore the ribbon with three propellers. But, we dont wear them anymore. Something about they expired not to long ago.

What in the heck?!?!?! Propellers? They don't go on the ribbon! Bronze/Silver clasps, NOR do you wear citations that you were not in the unit for. This is a big issue....and it's a permanant ribbon.

CAP Knowledgebase said:
The Unit Citation Ribbon may be worn permanently by all individuals who were members of the unit during any portion of the period of time shown in the National Headquarters Personnel Action announcing the award. New members who join after the period of time specified for the award are not eligible to wear the unit citation ribbon previously awarded.

Unit awards are intended to be worn by members of the unit who were assigned during the period specified in the award. Allowing new members to wear the award "temporarily" while assigned to the unit in not in accordance with the intent of Paragraph 5 of CAP REGULATION 39-3 (E) AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND CERTIFICATES, "A member must be in good standing at the time of the distinguished act and must meet the criteria established for the award," or the equivalent Air Force Instruction 36-2803 (see Paragraph 4.2 below).

CAP REGULATION 39-3 (E) AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND CERTIFICATES
5. Eligibility. A member must be in good standing at the time of the distinguished act and must meet the criteria established for the award. All award recommendations must be submitted within 2 years of the termination date of the act, achievement, or service performed. Next of kin of deceased persons are entitled to receive awards earned but not presented.

AFI 36-2803 THE AIR FORCE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS PROGRAM 15 Jun 2001

Chapter 4 UNITED STATES UNIT AND ORGANIZATIONAL AWARDS
4.2. Individual Entitlement. All assigned or attached people who served with a unit during a period for which a unit award was awarded are authorized the appropriate ribbon if they directly contributed to the mission and accomplishments of the unit.

Also see Paragraph 12 of CAP REGULATION 39-3 (below) for unit citation procedures.

Paragraph 12. Award Elements:
a. At the time National Headquarters announces an award, it will forward the appropriate award elements to the proper region or wing commander for presentation to the individual concerned.
b. When region commanders announce an award, they will present the appropriate award elements, or forward them to the proper wing commander for presentation to the individual concerned.
c. Award elements consist of:
(1) The medal and/or ribbon of the decoration in question and the certificate that accompanies the decoration to individuals.
(2) Only one Unit Citation Award certificate and streamer will be presented to the unit receiving the award. For example, if an entire group (rather than just the group headquarters) receives the Unit Citation Award, the certificate and streamer will be displayed at group headquarters only; however, all members of the group headquarters and squadrons within that group are authorized to wear the Unit Citation Ribbon. The members of each unit which receive the Unit Citation Award are authorized to wear the Unit Citation Ribbon. This ribbon is not furnished by National Headquarters, but may be purchased from the CAP Bookstore or commercial sources. The Unit Citation Ribbon may be worn permanently by all individuals who were members of the unit during any portion of the period of time shown in the National Headquarters Personnel Action announcing the award. Unit commanders will post the members’ records to show their eligibility to wear the ribbon.

The question was,
I have a question about the award of unit citation ribbons, and whether there was such a thing as a "temporary" award. Basically, if a new cadet joins a squadron that has one unit citation award, a wing that has 4, and a region that has 2, does he have the right to wear the unit citation award with a silver and bronze clasp? Is he "temporarily" allowed to wear this award, while a member of the unit? Several members quoted several different sections of CAPR 39-3 for me, and I'm not sure how to interpret it.

Now, you better have been in the unit at the time of citation, or take them off. The distinction/merit units do not garner a ribbon.

That is what I was going at. I saw a cadet with 3 Citations, but he was a Basic! How does that work?

When HQ finally sent me my blues my squadron handed me the ribbon and propellers. With the instructions of put the propellers on the ribbon. And, when I saw everyone else not wearing there's I took mine off and threw it in a box somewhere. The response to my question about it was, "They expired."

nulli secundus said:
When HQ finally sent me my blues my squadron handed me the ribbon and propellers. With the instructions of put the propellers on the ribbon. And, when I saw everyone else not wearing there's I took mine off and threw it in a box somewhere. The response to my question about it was, "They expired."

Well, you should "inform" your unit....know the regs so you know whats wrong..

Back