How does he do it...

Prapor

Was just watching a show about religious sects in Russia. In particular, they talked about the so-called Church of the Chosen. It was started 20 years ago by a former policeman named Sergei Torop, who now calls himself Father Vissarion and declared himself to be the new incarnation of Jesus Christ.
2453e82bd115.jpg

372a790dde08.jpg

This... community, I guess we will call them, has over three thousand members now, and is based deep in rural Siberia. Thier main doctrine is that in 6 years or so, this world as we know it will end, "God's wrath will fall upon sinful humanity" and only ones who will be spared will be the members of this sect.

Probably the most famous member of the sect (besides, of course, Father Vissarion himself), is Svetlana Vladimirskaya
7D_48_Sveto_Vladi_f01_fmt.jpg

10 years ago, she was a well-known pop singer. Her 'My Boy' was a hit, country-wide. It was a media sensation, when she quit her soaring career and moved off to Siberia to join this sect. But, apparently, she is happy there. It is there that she found her husband, an artist and fellow sect member, Evgeny Korniltsev
thumbnailw.jpg

Now they are raising four beautiful children together
picturez.jpg

(here with Evgeny's parents, also members of the sect)

Svetlana today mostly performs for the sect, and, sometimes, goes on 'tours' of neighboring villages. They do love her. She is also a sort of spokeswoman for the sect, using her fame to promote the sect, appearing on TV, in shows where they talk about religion and sects, and constantly refuting any bad claims about the sect.

Here is a video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y9FYQ3TnB8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y9FYQ3TnB8[/ame]
Svetlana Vladimirskaya about their City of Sun (that is what the sect calls the town where they all live).

Father Vissarion, meanwhile, has become a wealthy man. Although he, like all members of his community, maintains a simple, ascetic lifestyle, it is said he has millions of dollars in different Swiss banks. Also, one would think that the community's extensive security team must be well-paid (10 big, black SUVs with tanned windows patrol around the village. Strongly build men in Adidas suits have also been seen following, and apparently guarding, Father Vissarion himself and his wife and five children. It is assumed they are armed).
964ea534d5cf.jpg

I think he is a narcissistic sort of man, he likes people paying attention to him, looking up to him like that.
010wcdts.jpg

a52cf27016f4.jpg

The members of the sect believe Vissarion's every word
yavlenie_hrista-menta_narodu.jpg

In daily conversation, they refer to their leader as 'Uchitel' ('Teacher'). They worship him, absolutely. I think if he'd told all of them to end their lives right this moment, they would do that, without hesitation.

I simply do not understand it. How can one man hold such power over 3000 people?
23701.jpg

He must have some kind of psychological, hypnotic abilities, just to control his followers the way he does.

Another video, about a woman who, with her three children, ran away from Saint Petersburg to join this sect: http://1000-tv.ru/peredacha/per-prosm.php?id=31

Last edited:
Children in the sect:
0792260.jpg

Well, they don't look sad. Life must be good :)

Prayer
62970911_1282326033_27.jpg

Their main cathedral
62970885_1282325924_20.jpg
62970887_1282325939_21.jpg

As you can see, they do, literaly, worship Father Vissarion

62970889_1282325965_23.jpg

Religious procession during a holiday celebration
62970899_1282325953_22.jpg
62970903_1282326048_28.jpg

62970905_1282326061_29.jpg

62970909_1282326001_25.jpg

62970883_1282326115_30.jpg

A farmer and follower of Vissarion
421183.jpg

3 times a year, Vissarion gets his whole flock together at Sukhaya mountain and gives a address
421184.jpg

1003l.jpg

What else... They have their own store, but you won't find tobacco or alcohol there, both are banned in that community.

This is the type of houses they live in
1255275029.jpg

Not bad, by Russian standards.

This is in Krasnoyarski krai. I understand local government simply ceded a whole bunch of land to the sect. Logic is simple: good people, religious, hard-working, family-oriented, don't drink or use narcotics, don't cause trouble. Better have them than someone else.

Some good looking ladies there too
1006f.jpg

But never alone :)

Last edited:
(QUOTE) [I simply do not understand it. How can one man hold such power over 3000 people?

They're making the mistake of thinking that he is better than him (in some way closer to God) whoever God is in their eyes.

When I opened my eyes, I realized we are are all parts of "God"... 'ONE"... call us what you want , but in the the end this is how we see ourselves in others... how else could we?

Last edited:
An interesting situation, so well presented it becomes almost visually self-explanitory. The pics also demonstrate that this man has a charisma - he is a charismatic.

And perhaps as such he is well funded by those who consider it a worthwhile project.

Are there any known political aspirations of this acorn?

(QUOTE) [I simply do not understand it. How can one man hold such power over 3000 people?

They're making the mistake of thinking that he is better than him (in some way closer to God) whoever God is in their eyes.

When I opened my eyes, I realized we are are all parts of "God"... 'ONE"... call us what you want , but in the the end this is how we see ourselves in others... how else could we?

I suppose there is that. I think it is a powerful personality cult at work there. Russian people are particularly susceptible to such things, because we need, desperately, someone to believe in, some sort of a Leader. That is how Stalin once rose here. Putin too. We like Leaders, almost fatherly type of figures.

Nice pictures and narration.
Thanks!
I say he's a very good Jesus re-enactor.

Yes, he grew his hair and beard out for that purpose.

An interesting situation, so well presented it becomes almost visually self-explanitory. The pics also demonstrate that this man has a charisma - he is a charismatic.

And perhaps as such he is well funded by those who consider it a worthwhile project.

Are there any known political aspirations of this acorn?

Well, this group is good for the government, in that many people who go there are dissidents, people opposed to the government's way of thinking, way of running the country. Better they be out there, in the taiga somewhere, with nothing (this sect has no concept of private ownership. Before joining, you have to sell all your possessions and then give all the proceeds to the sect), than that they lead protests in Moscoww or elsewhere. I would not be surprised if they have government support. It is certainly notable that the Orthodox Church, which swoops down upon any sects like a hawk, recently managing to get Jewhowa's Witnesses and Scientology banned in Russia as 'dangerous sects', has stayed away from these guys. Perhaps it was told to leave them alone...

Well gentlemen, and ladies (for those who find themselves in that cathegory)

I think we have seen this before, numerous times.
People in need of a mentor to show them the way to paradise doesn't reflect upon the fact that the saviour (Messiah, Jesus, whatever) was born into the job, he wasn't a carpenter, nor was he a policeman, he came to this earth with a purpose.
And as this self-proclaimed wannabe-Jesus har actually spendt some time handing out speeding tickets, or whatever policemen do, I'd say he just found a better way to profit on his talents.

Political abitions...I'd say none!
As far as I understand he (Vissarion) has predicted that the end of the world as we know it will come in about 6 years.
That is what I would call a prime example of a doomsday-sect.
And they will be very disappointed when doomsday fail to happen as predicted.

With the grim events that took place in Waco fresh in mind I fear that this wilol end bad...

Well gentlemen, and ladies (for those who find themselves in that cathegory)

I think we have seen this before, numerous times.
People in need of a mentor to show them the way to paradise doesn't reflect upon the fact that the saviour (Messiah, Jesus, whatever) was born into the job, he wasn't a carpenter, nor was he a policeman, he came to this earth with a purpose.
And as this self-proclaimed wannabe-Jesus har actually spendt some time handing out speeding tickets, or whatever policemen do, I'd say he just found a better way to profit on his talents.

Political abitions...I'd say none!
As far as I understand he (Vissarion) has predicted that the end of the world as we know it will come in about 6 years.
That is what I would call a prime example of a doomsday-sect.
And they will be very disappointed when doomsday fail to happen as predicted.

With the grim events that took place in Waco fresh in mind I fear that this wilol end bad...

That is what I wonder about: what will happen if the world will not end in 6 years? :?:

Haha oh man Prapor I'm sure this kind of thing happens everywhere, if people are stupid enough to follow it then better they aren't living on my street I say!
We have a group in New Zealand who are just the same, some guy Brian Tamaki started a church and got heaps of followers and now he is trying all sorts of rubbish like setting up his own schooling and giving loyalty rings to men who have to stand when he enters the room and defend his honour etc. The difference is he takes his peoples money then flaunts it! he has a mansion and many cars and motorbikes etc, he has people convinced that as the spokesperson of god he deserves to live like a king! Its a pretty good gig for him.
I don't thing he helps himself to all the hotties in his flock though, perhaps that's his next move.
I'm not sure if your news covered Americas recent encounter with religious nuts predicting the end of the world, man we had a good laugh about that here. That pastor at least can't speak any more apparently due to a stroke so we won't be hearing any more of his nonsense.
Your cult seems further along then ours, though surely it will implode as they all do in time.
I haven't got the knack of posting pictures yet but Google images of Brian Tamaki or Destiny Church will give you an idea. They're a pretty freaky bunch actually, I wouldn't go out in public and denounce them here.

Haha oh man Prapor I'm sure this kind of thing happens everywhere, if people are stupid enough to follow it then better they aren't living on my street I say!
We have a group in New Zealand who are just the same, some guy Brian Tamaki started a church and got heaps of followers and now he is trying all sorts of rubbish like setting up his own schooling and giving loyalty rings to men who have to stand when he enters the room and defend his honour etc. The difference is he takes his peoples money then flaunts it! he has a mansion and many cars and motorbikes etc, he has people convinced that as the spokesperson of god he deserves to live like a king! Its a pretty good gig for him.
I don't thing he helps himself to all the hotties in his flock though, perhaps that's his next move.
I'm not sure if your news covered Americas recent encounter with religious nuts predicting the end of the world, man we had a good laugh about that here. That pastor at least can't speak any more apparently due to a stroke so we won't be hearing any more of his nonsense.
Your cult seems further along then ours, though surely it will implode as they all do in time.
I haven't got the knack of posting pictures yet but Google images of Brian Tamaki or Destiny Church will give you an idea. They're a pretty freaky bunch actually, I wouldn't go out in public and denounce them here.

Well, these guys have a business of sorts too. They build houses out of wood, like this:
421185.jpg

on order from rich people in Moscow and elsewhere, and send them out. Must pay off quite well.

Wow I saw some impressive woodwork in your earlier pictures as well, do they have a sawmill or what?

Actually, the strange part is, from what I understand, they reject most modern technology. At least they say so. But, at the same time, if you've seen the picture of one of the houses, on the first page there, I could swear there is a satellite dish on there... So, who knows...

Oh well at the end of the day even if they are crazy those houses are great, It would definately be a talking point to have something like that on my street! Bet they stand up to earthquakes really well too.

Oh well at the end of the day even if they are crazy those houses are great, It would definately be a talking point to have something like that on my street! Bet they stand up to earthquakes really well too.

Indeed, seems like a well buildt log-house, and it's definately more stabile than the brains of the ones who buildt it. :p

I've always considered any religious followers to be lacking in moral backbone, easy meat for those who want to control others.

When these "charismatics" are all reduced to their basic raison d'etre it always comes down to one thing,... easy money, or wealth in kind.

I've always considered any religious followers to be lacking in moral backbone, easy meat for those who want to control others.

When these "charismatics" are all reduced to their basic raison d'etre it always comes down to one thing,... easy money, or wealth in kind.

You sound like my Dad, who was always right.

Do you mean to tell me that you have not yet signed up to MontyB's new religious sect? Cheques welcome.

Or do you prefer to wait until all the world are Muslim, no choice?:smile:

Back