How did Westerner look at Chinese in Korean War? - Page 3

--

February 20th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Allow me to clarify myself as some might try to read something false between the lines. I was just saying what Americans from the 50s thought about the Chinese, not my own personal opinion of my modern asian peers.
February 20th, 2005  
MadeInChina

well dont go over the line man, alot of my buddy's family members died for that dam pensula

stupid american airpower, most of them are killed from carpet bombings
February 20th, 2005  
Zucchini

Given their weaponry and time of existence as a fighting force, you have to give them very high marks. I've read Mac thought there were 16,000 Chinese troops in North Korea, and their actual number exceeeded 200,000. That is pretty sneaky.

The question I have is how do the Chinese now view the American military based upon their performance in Iraq?

I don't think they are as impressed as most Americans would assume; in fact, I think we're lucky they have no interest in mixing it up.
--
February 20th, 2005  
Missileer

What do I think about Chinese troops joining with the North Koreans during the Korean War? In my opinion, now, I think that China was wary enough of foreign forces being on their border that any sacrifice was warranted. They had just gone through a horrible war of occupation by Japan along with a civil war among their leaders. Their resources were depleted so they fought with what they had, people. I truly believe that China felt that they had no other choice, they would have fought with their bare hands and probably did.
February 21st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

The general reaction of the UN forces? Well, to paraphrase, "OMFG, WTF??? We're PWNZD!!" China succeeded brilliantly at first, beating back the UN forces with very poorly equipped soldiers. Their bravery was amazing by all accounts.

The issues of casualties and "no, China never used wave tactics" ought to be simple enough to sort out. Every other country that was involved the planet has independent documentation of the use of wave tactics in the Korean War. That is A LOT of countries. China says everybody else is a bunch of filthy liars. Can anyone guess who is telling the truth on this one?? Hint Example: You have a court case with 40 different witnesses. 39 tell the same story. 1 witness tells a completely different story. Which version of events does the court believe?

It can be denied and denied but the underlying thing is this: The Chinese soldiers were brave to the point that it blew their enenmies minds, so no insult of those men ought to be implied. The use human wave tactics by the Chinese demonstrates blatant disregard for the lives of their people on the part of the PRC government leaders and the PLA commanders. Yes, more tactics were used than human waves, but that was the tool that got the job done in over and over again. Human waves were not thrown about with total disregard, they did use them where they seemed likely to win the battle and seldom in the face of impossible circumstances, but it still show no regard for you soldiers' lives.

To sum up:
The Chinese soldiers that fought in Korea deserve to be commended and admired for their daring and bravery.
The commanders and government leaders deserve to be shot.
February 21st, 2005  
Zucchini

In the same situation, we would do exactly the same thing.
February 21st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zucchini
In the same situation, we would do exactly the same thing.
We might at that. We might not. Would we be willing to use such a tactic when it is not a definite invasion of our own country? US ideology has little tollerance for overwhelming casualties under any circumstances.

The death toll involved by using wave tactics ... lets say we jump into the middle of a Canadian Civil War between Quebec and the rest of Cananda and magically lose all our nice hardware and gear. The use of wave tactics would rapidly destroy all support for US involvement in such a situation.
February 21st, 2005  
MadeInChina

LOl, human wave tactics..

well, the name usually does not matter, tell me what is in your mind what a human wave charge look slike, othe
r wise i'll take it as an insult
February 21st, 2005  
03USMC

Human Wave Tactics- Continuous attacks against a position by massed infantry in order to overwhelm said position regardless of causalities incurred by the attacking force.
February 22nd, 2005  
MadeInChina

well why didnt u say so

it should be called a infantry based offensive

anyhow, ya, once you go with it, u cant stop