Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi
then it have to be a "special one"
Or just a very lucky shot...
April 1st, 2004  
No MERCY

Topic: Not just them

The USSR were the first to develope the weapon. Now If yu've wathched the news lately there are terrorist that improve weapons and u have the phsycos that will work day and night to find the stongest thing they can. The RPG must have had a lot of explosives hidden in side.
--
April 1st, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: I dont

I dont know. What i think is, unless they made the size of the entire launcher and RPG bigger, they cant use more explosives.
April 1st, 2004  
Snauhi

meyby that RPG was shooting a DU round instead of a HEAT one.
April 1st, 2004  
Redneck

Topic: Re: Not just them

Quote:
Originally Posted by No MERCY
The RPG must have had a lot of explosives hidden in side.
Those sneaky , hiding explosives in an RPG, what is the world coming to?
April 1st, 2004  
Mark Conley

well, I believe dragon said it all best in his first posting on the RPG...

1. A stand off spike is just that: a device that iniates the shaped charge's detonation before it hits the side of the tank wall. this allows the shock cone to actually build-up and intensify, getting more bang for the buck before it hits the armor wall.

2. Theres really nothing special about a RPG warhead: you can jink around with the explosive (faster vs slower detonation) or the shape of the hollow inside (the cone that shapes the blast itself) but you dont have anything exotic, like depleted uranium or tungsten penetrators, like a kinetic kill weapon. I guess you could use these materials to act as a tamp behind the explosion, but it would make it an awful heavy item to carry for a average soldier, and the whole idea behind the RPG is mobile fire power.

3. A one in a gadzillion shot sounds about right. I havent heard about any tankers that have lost sleep over this.

April 1st, 2004  
cryhavoc

I think the chances of a crew member loosing bladder control and causing an electrical fire are greater than an RPG taking out our tanks. Sure it can happen then again lightening can strike at the right moment and do the same damage.
April 3rd, 2004  
No MERCY

Topic: never know

Lightening is dangerous and remember it does strike. More than once. An RPG that took out a tank from the side is possible. During the 1 gulf war a soldier on the good side used an RPG and made it curve round the corner and hit the tank it was going after. He was skilled though.
June 4th, 2004  
T

Topic: Hole through a tank

There's no RPG that is able to go completely through an M-1 Abrams. I highly doubt a Bradley either. I case in the first gulf war when an M-1 blew a motor and retrieving it wasn't an option so it had to be destroyed. Another M-1 had to shoot it 3-4 times with a SABOT to finally do the job. Tanks aren't invincible but I htink in this day and age an M-1 is a close as you're going to get.

Being a former grunt, if I'm going to seek the means to kill a tank from the ground more than likely i'm going to ask a DAT rather than an Air Force captain. If you want to know which hotels in any given city/base are the best THEN go find the Air Force guy.

A captain fromUSAF told the cadets on friday. What i ment was the united states needs to find it and test. Or we have to destroy or find out whois making it.

It curved around the corner? Was the skilled soldier using a split finger or a 2 finger? We need to get him in the Cubs starting rotation!

Lightening is dangerous and remember it does strike. More than once. An RPG that took out a tank from the side is possible. During the 1 gulf war a soldier on the good side used an RPG and made it curve round the corner and hit the tank it was going after. He was skilled though.