Hitler and Gandhi.

Del Boy

GANDHI on Hitler :- 'I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted. He is showing an ability that is amazing and he seems to be gaining his victories without much blood-shed'.

HITLER on Gandhi:- 'All you have to do, Lord Halifax, - is to shoot Gandhi'.

Last edited:
context

These quotes are just bizarre. No disrespect intended, but I'd like to know the sources so I can read more about the context of these statements.

Only thing I know about Ghandi is that he was greatly inspired by the works of Leo Tolstoy. I would imagine that his opinion on Hitler would have changed when he invaded Poland.

These quotes are just bizarre. No disrespect intended, but I'd like to know the sources so I can read more about the context of these statements.

A pleasure my friend. New book, 'Naked Ambition' by Jad Adams. (Quercus £20 . 4-star review by Phillip Hensher). A serious effort at presenting the man.

There was a huge uproar in my town (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) when the owner of our baseball team said Hitler started out with good intentions. It was later reported that she had collected some Nazi memorabilia over the years. Not long after, the baseball team was purchased by another very wealthy man in Cincinnati, and she was pushed out of the spotlight. The whole episode was a major embarrassment to our city when the national media got their hands on it.

I'd like to know what the reaction in India has been with the publishing of this statement by Ghandi. Thanks for citing your source.

This is full quotation of what Hitler said to Halifax in 1938 on Gandi;
"" Kill Gandhi, if that isn't enough then kill the other leaders too, if that isn't enough then two hundred more activists, and so on until the Indian people will give up the hope of independence".
eek.gif

Could have been more interesting

There was some concern that Gandhi would use the occasion of WWII to split from the UK, and the loss of India at that time might have lost the war for the UK.

The Nazis also supported some Irish "independence" groups.

I have never been able to understand Gandhi. I liked Nehru better (He was, per my taste, a better dresser...) Sadly, I never had any problem understanding Hitler. His message was pretty clear.

There is a little more to it...

I do not want to see the allies defeated. But I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted. He is showing an ability that is amazing and seems to be gaining his victories without much bloodshed. Englishmen are showing the strength that Empire builders must have. I expect them to rise much higher than they seem to be doing.
Letter to Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, regarding the military situation between England and Germany (May 1940), quoted in Collected Works (1958), p. 70. It should be noted that in May 1940 the battles of World War II were just beginning after the German invasion of Poland. The subsequent blitzkrieg invasions of The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and France, were indeed swift and relatively bloodless compared to the trench battles of the First World War. Furthermore the persecution of the Jews in the eyes of the world was at this point limited to lowered civil rights, and the use of concentration camps and ghettos: the facts of Nazi genocidal strategies were not widely known until towards the end of that war, in 1945.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi

Back