The history of taxes and war - Page 2

September 15th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country
Originally Posted by Mark Conley
Wow..i think you could give David a good run for his money.. Bravo SSG Doody! I like well thought out posts (especially when it makes me look like i know what im doing in some of them... )

Good job. Any one else want to add to the post?
why thankyou sire let's go have that party you mentioned!!!!

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a monied aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases". - Thomas Jefferson

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our selection between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debts as that we must be taxed in our meat in our drink, in our necessities and comforts, in our labors and in our amusements, for our callings and our creeds...our people.. must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses; and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live." -- Thomas Jefferson

I was going to use quotes from other Found Fathers, but Jefferson said it best. Read the following quotes and then decide if today's government is what Jefferson had envisioned.

SSG Doody
September 24th, 2004  

Topic: Hm

Oddly enough, one may consider the American War of Independence to be the first American Civil War
Because, of course, the rebels considered themselves to be British
Revere didnt say "The British are coming", he said "The regulars are coming" because he considered himself to be British as well
October 9th, 2004  
The English Clerk Pierre Dubois back in the year 1300 wrote the book "Doctrine of Successful Expeditions and Shortened Wars". Cast about $100 dollars last I checked, but is the earliest account I know of a connection between the needs of the Military and the Exchequer. It's central polemic centered between using orthodox military seige warefare against increasingly sophisticated strongholds or adapting newer tactics, predominately the chevauchee.