Help identify this shell...please.

WOLFPAC

One of my employees found this in his house. It is 10.5" in length and 3.5" wide. It weights around 22-23 lbs. Can anyone help us identify it or point us in the right direction? Thank you in advance.
702089c5.jpg

1079efb4.jpg

Without close examination, I'd say that it's an old 25pdr AT solid shot. Look for the code stamp from the list below.

7385c091.gif

The socket in the rear was for a tracer element.

I don't care how "safe" it appears, just get it looked at by someone with at least some knowledge of artillery ammo.

Last edited:
I don't care how "safe" it appears, just get it looked at by someone with at least some knowledge of artillery ammo.
^^^^^^^What he said!

It looks like it may be inert, but without any visible markings it's hard to tell so you should leave it alone and get someone professional to look at it ASAP...

Thank you for your help! Just so happens I know some guys on the local police EOD team. It appears to be inert but I will have them check it out. I assume the big grove in the shell is for the driving band?
THank you again for the help!

Thank you for your help! Just so happens I know some guys on the local police EOD team. It appears to be inert but I will have them check it out. I assume the big grove in the shell is for the driving band?
THank you again for the help!
Yes it is, it's either been removed by someone for the copper value or was torn off when the round hit whatever it did, and although it's not clear whether it has been fired. From what appear to be striations on the ogive (point), I'd say that it has.

If it's safe it will make a nice door stop, but for the safety of all concerned (and your friends and neighbours) make sure that it is just a solid shot.

Back