Hello there

Reyna

My name is Reyna, and i'm interested on joining the Marines. I heard that going through OCS, and coming out an officer is better than going through enlisted because of the pay and respect. I've also come to learn i need a college degree. So I have a few questions.
1. Is a college degree absolutely necessary? and if so, what kind of degree?
2. Do I have to go through a Jrotc program if i did need to go to college to become an officer?
3. Coming out of OCS, what rank would I be?
4. Would I be able to choose where I would be stationed at?
and any more side information on any of these, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :salute:

1. Is a college degree absolutely necessary? and if so, what kind of degree?
2. Do I have to go through a Jrotc program if i did need to go to college to become an officer?
3. Coming out of OCS, what rank would I be?
4. Would I be able to choose where I would be stationed at?
and any more side information on any of these, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :salute:

1. Yes you need a degree. Dosen't matter what kind.

2. JROTC, no. In college it's ROTC and it's not a requirement, to apply for OCS. NROTC or PLC will help.

3. Second Lieutenant

4. You will be stationed where the Corps needs you to be stationed.

there is however a "wishlist" u get...although you probably wont see that until u complete your MOS school.(if you have to go to one that is...)
I know when i enlisted, after boot camp i went to MCT(Marine Combat Training) and then off to my MOS school. after completing my school, i got to choose 3 places....east coast, west coast, or over seas... maybe as an officer u can choose what MC installation u want to go to...

In the US Army you only need 60 semester hours to apply for OCS. You can get comissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant without a degree. You will however, need to complete your degree before you can be promoted past Captain. I know that the Army is REALLY hurting for junior officers. I even considered requesting a direct comission after I got my degree but decided not to as I didn't want to be a private all over again.

I remember going through school and getting the option east coast, west coast or overseas... and I also remember filling out the paperwork to go to east coast... funny thing is, almost a year later I seen the same paperwork I filled out... it said I chose no preferense. A placebo question perhaps? I'm pretty sure you get sent to where ever the marine corps needs you... regardless of your preference.

I remember going through school and getting the option east coast, west coast or overseas... and I also remember filling out the paperwork to go to east coast... funny thing is, almost a year later I seen the same paperwork I filled out... it said I chose no preferense. A placebo question perhaps? I'm pretty sure you get sent to where ever the marine corps needs you... regardless of your preference.

It ain't called a "Dream Sheet" for nothin. You can ask for K-Bay. The Corps gonna put ya where they need ya.

Back