Heinz Guderian - Father of the Tank - Page 2

--

January 19th, 2010  
Yin717

I never actually knew much about this man, but I do remember reading that his one of the few men who actually pushed for the use of tanks in the German army after WW1. Hitler saw something in him and took on his ideas. But that's my limited knowledge on him. But what you have just posted I knew very little on him, it was a good read. GOOD POST!
January 19th, 2010  
Gary of CA

The coordination of aircraft with the tanks isn't attributed to Guderian. WW I ace Ernst Udet became enamoured with the concept of close air support after flying a Curtis Hawk dive bomber here in America. He returned to Germany and became the biggest proponent of the dive bomber aircraft and demonstrated its feasibility to high officials of the Luftwaffe. The Luftwaffe was divided into two factions with one believing it should be a tactical air force and the other followed the Italian (Douhet) school of the strategic air force (bombing alone delivers victory). Udet prevailed and hence the Stuka.
January 22nd, 2010  
LeEnfield

One of the first men to use the Tank successfully was a British General Called Rawlinson and in 1918 he launched a attack on the German fabled Hindenburg line which destroyed this line of defence and brought the Germans to sue for Peace,
He used 450 tanks behind a creeping barrage of a thousand guns and just behind the tanks where the infantry. The Germans found that as the barrage passed over head and they left their dug outs the tanks were already on top of them followed a few minutes later by the infantry. The British also used nearly a thousand aircraft bombing and shooting up the trenches and attacking any German reserves that might be making their way to the front. With in a few days all the defences lines had been breached and the Cavalry was turned lose through the breaches which then was its last hurrah attacking the Germans from the rear. All the aspects of the German Blitzkrieg tactics were used in this battle of WW1.
--
January 22nd, 2010  
Yin717

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
One of the first men to use the Tank successfully was a British General Called Rawlinson and in 1918 he launched a attack on the German fabled Hindenburg line which destroyed this line of defence and brought the Germans to sue for Peace,
He used 450 tanks behind a creeping barrage of a thousand guns and just behind the tanks where the infantry. The Germans found that as the barrage passed over head and they left their dug outs the tanks were already on top of them followed a few minutes later by the infantry. The British also used nearly a thousand aircraft bombing and shooting up the trenches and attacking any German reserves that might be making their way to the front. With in a few days all the defences lines had been breached and the Cavalry was turned lose through the breaches which then was its last hurrah attacking the Germans from the rear. All the aspects of the German Blitzkrieg tactics were used in this battle of WW1.
This sounds like an interesting read. Have you got any links to this?
January 22nd, 2010  
LeEnfield

The infantry that took part in this Battle where Australian, Canadian and British and they pushed 50 miles through the Hindenburg line, till they ran out of steam. It was one of those occasions where the Victory was so large that the Church Bells where rung out all over Britain. Yet this battle has not had a lot written about, now whether it was because General Rawlison was blamed for the loses on the Somme in 1915 as he was involved in the planning for that battle I just don't know. Still he was the first known General to use a rolling barrage in front of a mass tank assault which was followed closely by the infantry supported by waves of aircraft and this has been the blue print for so many battles since.
January 23rd, 2010  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by art818
does anyone have any information about guderian being armenian?
Guderian was Prussian not Armenian, he was born in Kulm, West Prussia now Chełmno (Poland).

As a side note his son also followed in his foot steps and held the same title in the Bundeswehr, Inspector of Panzer Troops.
January 23rd, 2010  
perseus

Wasn't Chełmno in Poland between WW1 and WW2 since I remember reading about Guderian overunning his own town?