Do i have a chance?

--

June 21st, 2005  
ozmilman

Topic: Do i have a chance?

Okay,

I'm looking at going into the Aussie army and i wanted to see if i could get some advice on whether or not i have a good chance of getting in.

I'm getting my fitness back up to a really good standard, i've got 18 years martial arts experience, i've used firearms before, i'm fairly decent at the huntsman's trade, i have a University degree with a double major (English and History), and i have dreamed of being in the army my entire life - it's the discipline.

BUT, I have poor eyesight without glasses. I can't see distances without my glasses and i was wondering whether that would keep me out of the army. Surely all of my positives would outweight the one negative, wouldn't it?

Rich.
June 21st, 2005  
AussieNick

Quote:
i have a University degree with a double major (English and History)
That is much more important than any of the other things. With that you can become an officer through Duntroon. As for eyesight, if you wear glasses then you should be fine. I wear glasses, but I'm saving for laser surgery.

The only thing it'll actually stop you from doing is being a pilot.

So yeah you should be fine as long as you've got an education, are medically fit, and haven't got any terrible criminal convictions hidden up your sleeve.
June 21st, 2005  
ozmilman

Heh, well i did get caught pinching this packet of condoms once, but they let me off for that.

Thanks man, that makes me feel heaps better - i'll just get one of those things that straps the glasses tight to your head so they don't fall off all the damn time.

Do you mind me asking what you do in the army? Or aren't you allowed to say or something?

Rich.
--
June 21st, 2005  
AussieNick

I'm a staff cadet (officer in training) at the Royal Military College Duntroon. Graduate in January.
June 21st, 2005  
ozmilman

Sweet. I'm not sure if i'd go for officer training. I just want to go in as a Rifleman or Combat engineer. Maybe go in for trade training. Heh, maybe try out for commandos, i don't think i'd ever be fit enough.

Rich.
June 21st, 2005  
AussieNick

Quote:
I'm not sure if i'd go for officer training. I just want to go in as a Rifleman or Combat engineer
Don't think that as an officer you'd miss out on the action. You'll see just as much of it as your digs, if not more... just you'll be responsible for 30 other blokes.
June 22nd, 2005  
ozmilman

Hmm, i suppose that sounds alright. How long do you spend at Duntroon? Or does it depend on what you're doing?

Rich.
June 22nd, 2005  
Wallabies

Don't go officer, just be a rifleman and fight. You seem successful enough not having to add officer to your resume.
June 22nd, 2005  
Kilgore

Well if he is leader material, then there is no harm to be an officer.
June 23rd, 2005  
ozmilman

Yeah, thing is i've never been very good at politics, and when u get higher up in the officer sort of things u sort of become more involved in the politcal side of stuff, and u get like backstabbing and having to be politcally agile and all that. It's not really my sort of thing. I like taking orders instead of giving them.

Rich.