You have to arm a country - Page 2

--

November 11th, 2013  
MontyB

In the scenario offered I am not sure I see much point in an armoured corps at all, you essentially have a population of 1.4 million to defend, at best you are going to have a military of 60-100k and I think that would be pushing it.

I think I would dump almost the entire sum into mechanised infantry equipped with the best possible MPAT and MPAD systems I could get hold of and a bunch of BTR-3s or Pandur IIs (Austria hasn't joined NATO recently has it?).

Building an armoured corps capable of being effective with a population that size does not seem like good value for money given the size and population of the country I think smaller well equipped professional forces capable of holding up an attack until allies can assist is a far wiser option.

I am assuming helicopter and aircraft would be under the air force budget?
November 11th, 2013  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
In the scenario offered I am not sure I see much point in an armoured corps at all, you essentially have a population of 1.4 million to defend, at best you are going to have a military of 60-100k and I think that would be pushing it.

I think I would dump almost the entire sum into mechanised infantry equipped with the best possible MPAT and MPAD systems I could get hold of and a bunch of BTR-3s or Pandur IIs (Austria hasn't joined NATO recently has it?).

Building an armoured corps capable of being effective with a population that size does not seem like good value for money given the size and population of the country I think smaller well equipped professional forces capable of holding up an attack until allies can assist is a far wiser option.

I am assuming helicopter and aircraft would be under the air force budget?

Interesting thesis. And yes, Aircraft are not included in this scenario, those are under a separate budget.
November 15th, 2013  
{ĪnnĪr

Since this is such a small country I'd go for more of a guerrilla-type army instead of a heavy fighting force such as Russia or the US. I'd go for APCs instead of MBTs and rifles with longer range even if it sacrifices stopping power.
--
November 25th, 2013  
Rowan

The question is, does this state have any enemies, potential or otherwise. Maybe they should concentrate on Military as "aid to the civil power" for disaster relief etc and latch into logistical support for a more powerful ally. On the other hand, they might just want to invest in a couple of crop-dusting aircraft and a few good strains of anthrax or other NBC agents.!
November 25th, 2013  
George

Quote doesn't seem to be working! "Longer range rifles even though it gives up stopping power" Actually the heavier bullets needed for longer range would increase stopping power, unless it causes through and through penetration.
November 25th, 2013  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
First of all I'd have a huge castle built complete with moat, then buy a couple of business jets, helicopters, a few Rolls Royce motor cars, Range Rovers, a couple of Triumph Bonnevilles and Nortons, a protection squad of gorgeous young ladies and pay some pillock to organise the military while I played with al the toys.
I am in complete agreement with this.
Except instead of a squad of gorgeous young ladies, I'll go for a division. In fact I'll call it the CIX Division and it'll have it's own reality shows... especially for selection. It's going to be a global hit and bring in mad revenue for the whole country! Available MOS would be like 3100 Massage Woman.
And other things that will not be mentioned here.
But don't get me wrong, they will have combat training too so that's two birds with one stone... pun intended.
January 18th, 2014  
{ĪnnĪr

How did I forget to mention this?????
How is this country going to afford air support? The answer is.....*drum roll*...the McDonnel Douglas MD500!!!!! It's manoeuvrable, small and affordable! Very few helicopters of this size and price can pack this much of a punch.

It's also available in civilian versions which is a bonus! Last I checked this is the most widely used helicopter in the world (if you include the civilian versions as well)

It's also quite technically advanced. It has an MMS (mast mounted sight) so it can spot the enemy while taking cover behind some trees, pop up, shoot and take cover again!
January 28th, 2014  
LeEnfield

Become a nuclear power and every one will give you a wide berth
February 9th, 2014  
VDKMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Become a nuclear power and every one will give you a wide berth
unless to many have it.
February 10th, 2014  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
unless to many have it.

Then defense arranges matter little then in the aftermath.