That hard question about unmanned equiptment - Page 2

--

March 27th, 2015  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP
Impossible question.
Can't know how I would feel until it happened.
It's a complete unknown and pretty far off for an independently thinking machine being turned loose anywhere. Very far off, the more I think about it.
In 1900 Flight seemed pretty far off but these things can slip up on us.

I think it may be prudent to watch the private application of artificial intelligence for the time being as we learn more about what can and cannot be done then make our assessments.
March 28th, 2015  
Remington 1858

There are already a number of autonomous military systems that have been deployed, some for several years. Reconnaissance drones can be programmed to fly a pre-planned circuit and return to a recovery point.
There are both sea and land mines with a detector field that detect and analyze inputs, recognize specific threat profiles and react with lethal force.
Most of our cars are built by robots.
For specific go/no go responses, black- and-white situations, robots are already capable. For shades of grey responses we still need human intervention. But, as I'm sure readers will know, humans don't always handle those very well.
In private industry, an employer who can replace employees with an affordable machine will almost always do so. I worked in private industry for many years and saw even highly skilled craftsmen replaced by machine that had only half their capability, but simple economics forced them out.
Humans have built a world so complex that we may be reaching our own obsolescence.
People are no longer cost effective.
March 30th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 1858
There are already a number of autonomous military systems that have been deployed, some for several years. Reconnaissance drones can be programmed to fly a pre-planned circuit and return to a recovery point.
There are both sea and land mines with a detector field that detect and analyze inputs, recognize specific threat profiles and react with lethal force.
Most of our cars are built by robots.
For specific go/no go responses, black- and-white situations, robots are already capable. For shades of grey responses we still need human intervention. But, as I'm sure readers will know, humans don't always handle those very well.
In private industry, an employer who can replace employees with an affordable machine will almost always do so. I worked in private industry for many years and saw even highly skilled craftsmen replaced by machine that had only half their capability, but simple economics forced them out.
Humans have built a world so complex that we may be reaching our own obsolescence.
People are no longer cost effective.
I respectable disagree. Having been an engineer in the area's of aerospace and defense electronics both in and outside the military for 20 some odd years The brain storming and conception stages that initially bring an idea from a thought process to a piece of hardware will never be replaced by a robot. Also the robot cannot fine tune and test initial prototypes whose parameters are still in the process of being defined. The initial prototypes will usually have many variants before a final assembly can be decided upon. These task are lead by engineers, technicians and scientist. Then and only then can a device be tested for a certain degree of
autonomy. And still the degree of autonomy (as I mentioned in my earlier post) is fully dependent on the humans who programmed it.

Take the case of the drone. It is programmed to respond to certain stimuli during it's flight course, all within the scope of the software and firmware of the programmers design. So in essence it is only following a set of man made instructions. Their is nothing it can do solely onto itself
--
March 31st, 2015  
LeEnfield

I would be quite happy for a robot to lead an attack or cover us while we pulling out of a sticky situation. Still you would have know just what it is capable off before you took these decisions ....
April 5th, 2015  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
I would be quite happy for a robot to lead an attack or cover us while we pulling out of a sticky situation. Still you would have know just what it is capable off before you took these decisions ....

One likely issue is having such an system either disabled by enemy cyber warfare teams/systems. Or it just starts killing your own guys for whatever reason.

A definite issue to think of regardless of how long these systems take to come online. Either 10 years or 60 with any new era in human development comes new unforeseen challenges.