Gun Questions

Locke

ok, i was reading a book, on SF and the guns they use.
they were describing the guns and i didn't understand what they were talking about so i hope someone here can explain things to me!!

*what is a flash supressor, and how does it differ fron a sound supressor (silencer?)
*trigger pull - how does it affect the gun and how it fires, or is it purely how much force you have to place on the trigger to fire the weapon
*tumbling bullets- what are they?fact or fiction
*what is a parabellum round? how does this affect the bullet compared to FMJ rounds?
*what does it mean when a gun "operates by blowback"
*what does "maximum effective range" mean? is it the furthest away a target can be and be hit by your shots?

more to come ;)
(sorry if these questions seem dumb or basic!!)

Well I'm an idiot myself but I'll answer some.
Flash suppressor is something that minimizes the flash of your weapon. Generally they are standard on most rifles and the tend to deflect the outcoming propellant (in the form of gas) which is on fire... hence the flash.
Trigger pull. Yeah it usually says with how much pressure. It's how hard you have to pull the trigger in order for a bullet to go out.
Tumbling bullets. A lot of bullets do tumble upon impact. A lot of rifle bullets do. The latest M-16s don't. Tumbling happens when the stability of the bullet isn't excellent. Upon hitting the target, the bullet will tumble becuase it will hit the target at a slight tilt. This results in massive exit wounds and higher chances of first shot kills. However, this usually comes at the slight sacrifice of accuracy. Unless you are sniping, this slight loss shouldn't be a problem.
Maximum effective range means beyond that range, the weapon is no longer accurate.

Locke said:
ok, i was reading a book, on SF and the guns they use.
they were describing the guns and i didn't understand what they were talking about so i hope someone here can explain things to me!!

*what is a flash supressor, and how does it differ fron a sound supressor (silencer?)
*trigger pull - how does it affect the gun and how it fires, or is it purely how much force you have to place on the trigger to fire the weapon
*tumbling bullets- what are they?fact or fiction
*what is a parabellum round? how does this affect the bullet compared to FMJ rounds?
*what does "maximum effective range" mean? is it the furthest away a target can be and be hit by your shots?

more to come ;)
(sorry if these questions seem dumb or basic!!)

Locke said:

It means the weapon is fired from the open bolt position. So when the bolt goes forward and the firing pin strikes the base of the round the resulting action of gases will force the bolt to the rear and extract the cartridge and this will continue until A. stop pressing the trigger or B. run out of rounds.

The old F1 sub-machine gun used this.

"what is a flash supressor, and how does it differ fron a sound supressor (silencer?)"

Flash supressor is not silencer but it hides the muzzle flash -> doesn't reveal your position to enemy.

"trigger pull - how does it affect the gun and how it fires, or is it purely how much force you have to place on the trigger to fire the weapon"

If i understod right, that means the sensitive of the trigger or the place where trigger stops when pulling before the shot. (If i succeeded to explain good enough)

"what is a parabellum round? how does this affect the bullet compared to FMJ rounds?"

Parabellum round is 9mm para, wich is standard 9mm pistol round and regular bullet is also FMJ. 9mm pistols like Glock, CZ, USP, FN, M9 etc. and submachineguns like MP5 use 9mm para round.

"what does it mean when a gun "operates by blowback""

I guess blowback is an airsoft term wich means the gun seems to operate like real semiauto or auto guns where receiver reverses back every shot expels the empty shell and loads new round. I'm not 100% sure.

"what does "maximum effective range" mean? is it the furthest away a target can be and be hit by your shots?"

The range you can shoot accurate and hit the targets. Usually with assault rifles 0-300m, LMGs 0-600m, submachineguns 0-100m, pistols 0-25m and sniper rifles 0-600m or even 0-1000+ m. The bullet can fly a few kilometers but you are not able to hit at bullet's maximum ranges.

ok, bolt and firing pin: what are their functions and how do they do it?

iron sights are just the standard "things" that are part of the gun, right?

how extensive is underloading magazines? is it really widely used to prevent weapon jams

Iron sights is the 'basic' aiming: the 'circle' and 'dot'...other things such as dot sights and scopes can be added

as far as underloading a gun, if it were a bolt action that had a box magazine you wouldnt underload it becuase its manually operated so its less prone to jamming, on the semi-auto and fully-auto guns such as Ak's and seemingly older weapons with high capacity magazines alot of time if you load it full (30rounds,50rounds or 75rounds) then the first shot will go off as intended(becuase you manually cocked it) but after the initial shot, the second and third shot seems to jam (at least with my personal experience with an AK-74) so i loaded 28rounds instead of the full 30 and this prevented the problem, its mainly because the spring is too tight and puts too much pressure on the top shells into the gun, but sometimes leaving the clips full for days,weeks, or months it will releive some of the pressure and the gun should fire flawlessly.

Rocky_Raccoon said:
as far as underloading a gun, if it were a bolt action that had a box magazine you wouldnt underload it becuase its manually operated so its less prone to jamming, on the semi-auto and fully-auto guns such as Ak's and seemingly older weapons with high capacity magazines alot of time if you load it full (30rounds,50rounds or 75rounds) then the first shot will go off as intended(becuase you manually cocked it) but after the initial shot, the second and third shot seems to jam (at least with my personal experience with an AK-74) so i loaded 28rounds instead of the full 30 and this prevented the problem, its mainly because the spring is too tight and puts too much pressure on the top shells into the gun, but sometimes leaving the clips full for days,weeks, or months it will releive some of the pressure and the gun should fire flawlessly.

I though that underloading only necessary with M16 serie rifles because full magazines don't always attach properly because too tight spring you mentioned. I know some people who use to underload AK mags but personally i have never had any problems with full loaded 30rnd mags, specially plastic mags. Work like train's toilet. 8)

The under loading on the M16 series is a carry over from Vietnam when the springs did cause problems. Usually I loaded 30 in the Mag when you chambered one it left you with 29 never had a problem with new mags. In older ones you might if the spring was mushy.

Back