Gun license - Page 4

--
Boots

November 24th, 2011  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
Jeez,.. uz MontyB you mean that you still quote 1/2". I beat ya, I've got 12.7mm. or was that across the eye?
I will leave that to your imagination but just remember anything more than 12 inches is a foot and 3 feet make a yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
Well, we went all metric back in 1875 and have been ever since, but still plumbing is done based on inches, in construction they're still refering to 2x4 and 2x8, boats are meassured in feet, and a nautical mile is still 100 fathoms here.
Weird we have only been completely metric since 1969 so with the older folk imperial terms are still common but for the most part we have 100x50 and 200x50 (note we quote them backwards) and god knows what a fathom is.

Quote:
Wonder how it's like in the UK.
I am not sure but parts of the UK are still in 1875 so I am guessing they run a mix of metric and imperial.
November 24th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
god knows what a fathom is..
Last time I looked it was 6 feet.
November 24th, 2011  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Last time I looked it was 6 feet.
Well at least we have fathomed that one out.
--
Boots
November 24th, 2011  
Yossarian

Quote:
Well at least we have fathomed that one out.

Might as well start measuring in hands.

Course I only know western hands.
November 24th, 2011  
84RFK

OK...it's been quite a while since I did any kind of navigation based on anything but dead reckoning, but still...

A fathom as I know it, based on the approximate Admirality Nautical Mile by international agreement, is 1,852 meter.
That's 1/100 of a cable-length (185,2 meter) wich is 1/10 of a nautical mile (1852 meter) as I remember it.

Thus, if you sail 10 nautical mile pr. hour, your boat is doing 10 knots.
To complicate the matter further we used to call the Nautical mile a "quarter-mile" since we already had what we called a "sea-mile" of approximately 7408 meter.
The origin of that is even more complicated since it contains a lot of complete obsolete standards, and even worse if you consider that we used both Swedish and Danish feet on some point, and none of them corresponded exactly with the Imperial feet...
A complete mess I dare say.
November 26th, 2011  
cdmcbub

November 26th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Weird we have only been completely metric since 1969 so with the older folk imperial terms are still common but for the most part we have 100x50 and 200x50 (note we quote them backwards) and god knows what a fathom is.

I am not sure but parts of the UK are still in 1875 so I am guessing they run a mix of metric and imperial.
When I was at school in the 50's we had imperial measurements beaten into us, if we got it wrong a quick belt around the ear or rap over the knuckles with a ruler.

We had the Pounds, Shillings and Pence which really gave us a brain ache:-

12 Pennies = 1 shilling
20 Shilling's = 1 Pound or 240 pennies = 1 Pound
21 Shillings = 1 Guinea or 1 Pound + 1 Shilling = 1 Guinea or 252 Pennies = 1 Guinea.

Then we had the coins:-
Farthing 1/4 of a Penny
Half Penny (normally called a HaPenny)
Penny
3 Penny
6 Penny (usually called a tanner)
Shilling
Two Shillings or Florin (Sometimes called 2 Bob)
2 Shillings and 6 pence or half a crown (sometimes called half a dollar)
Half a Guinea
Guinea

Then we had the notes:-
10 Shillings (sometimes called 10 Bob or half a bar)
1 Pound (or Quid)
5 Pounds
The 10 Pound note was not re-introduced until 20 years or so after the war because of forgeries by the Germans.
In London 25 is often called a Pony and 500 a Monkey.

Then we had Imperial weights:-
16 oz to a pound
14 pounds to a stone
112 pounds to a hundred weight
20 hundred weights to a ton

When I measure vehicle fuel consumption I still use the old miles per gallon, the metric "litres per 100 kilometres" means nothing to me. When measuring I use both Imperial and Metric. For measuring longer distances I use feet and inches, for smaller distances I use millimetres.
November 29th, 2011  
eTe

Back on topic.. My letter from mr policeman saying I'm sane enough to possess firearms came yesterday so it's time to book into tafe... About halfway through the process.
November 29th, 2011  
84RFK

Oh, so you can actually start looking for that handy .308 rifle now?
November 29th, 2011  
eTe

Haha I think I'll stick with the .223 for the time, save my pennies for a bit. I'd love one but there's a lot of other stuff I'd love more at the moment. Like a new HiLux ute (pickup truck) haha