Greetings from Portsmouth, UK - Page 2

--

August 14th, 2009  
Alenoor

Welcome aboard
August 15th, 2009  
jolboy

Hiya "BritinAfrica ", well if you get back here i'd be honoured to show you around. otherwise let me know some details and i will try and get some photos for you. all best wishes.
August 17th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolboy
Hiya "BritinAfrica ", well if you get back here i'd be honoured to show you around. otherwise let me know some details and i will try and get some photos for you. all best wishes.
Thanks mate. As far as I can remember, my grandad was near hill 60 when it was blown up.

I also meant to go visit the tunnels in the White cliffs at Dover and the Battle of Britain memorial, but again, I didnt. I did however, visit RAF Duxford a couple of times, watching the spit and hurricane doing their thing sent shivers down my spine and the hair on my arms stand up. Something about that Rolls Merlin.

I dont see myself going to UK anytime soon, but thanks for the offer.
--
August 17th, 2009  
jolboy

Topic: hill 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Thanks mate. As far as I can remember, my grandad was near hill 60 when it was blown up.

I also meant to go visit the tunnels in the White cliffs at Dover and the Battle of Britain memorial, but again, I didnt. I did however, visit RAF Duxford a couple of times, watching the spit and hurricane doing their thing sent shivers down my spine and the hair on my arms stand up. Something about that Rolls Merlin.

I dont see myself going to UK anytime soon, but thanks for the offer.
No probs. I often go to Hill 60. The ground is still rippled by art. fire and mine explosions. The hill was made from soil dug out when they built a railway line there before WW1. Apart from First war memorials with bullet holes from Germans target practice in WW2 theres also a memorial to 2 young lads shot there in WW2 caught by ger patrol whilst the lads were trying to sabotage the rail line.
Only been in Dover tunnels once - impressive. I agree totally about noise of the Merlin engine. other sound that made my hair stand up was entering town of Cambrai on holiday near the Somme just as air raid sirens were tested !
August 20th, 2009  
tomtom22

Topic: Welcome!

Welcome aboard, jolboy.
August 21st, 2009  
Team Infidel

welcome.....