Greatest Naval Commander of WW2?? - Page 2

View Poll Results :Who was the Greatest Naval Commander of World War II??
Admiral Karl Dönitz (Germany) 4 11.76%
Admiral, Erich Raeder (Germany) 0 0%
Admiral Andrew B. Cunningham (United Kingdom) 6 17.65%
Admiral William "Bull" Halsey (USA) 3 8.82%
Admiral Chester Nimitz (USA) 13 38.24%
Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japan) 4 11.76%
Admiral Chuichi Nagumo (Japan) 0 0%
Admiral Frank Jack Fletcher (USA) 0 0%
Admiral Raymond A Spruance 2 5.88%
Admiral Raizo Tanaka 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

March 1st, 2005  
I'd love to vote for Bull Halsey because he took such good care of the Marines he had in his care.

I'd love to vote for Ray Spurance because it's amazing to me what a Cruiser Driver accomplished as a Carrier TF commander.

But in the end I voted for Nimitz because IMHO he was the one that pulled it all together.
March 1st, 2005  
Charge 7
A better choice than Walker for the Brits would be Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsey. As Fleet Admiral Dover he was responsible for the coordination of effort that enabled the successful evacuation of troops at Dunkirk. Later on he was the admiral commanding Operation Neptune which was the naval aspect of D-Day. Unfortunately, he was killed in a plane crash in January of 1945 and so didn't enjoy the awards of the victors and is little remembered today outside of Britain and the Commonwealth.

You can see something about him here and of course many other places on the web:

Oh yes, not entirely luck at Midway, btw. We had a fair enough idea of their codes by then (though only about 10 - 20%) to make a educated guess about Midway being the Japanese goal and not elsewhere. The idea to have Midway report its salt water converter out of operation was pure brilliance on the part of Commander Rochefort. When the Japanese reported it to higher HQ there was no doubt that Midway was the target.

A detailed account of intel prior to Midway can be found here:
March 1st, 2005  
My point on Midway is that we got lucky on many counts.
1. Breaking the Japanese code to begin with.
2. We sunk at least two Japanese carriers because we were lucky enough to find them and hit them at precisely the right time.
3. Finding their carriers first.

As already stated, this does not take anything away from what American commanders accomplished at Midway. Many brilliant moves and many things done right, but we started the day completely outgunned and won anyway. Lady Luck was a big help there. The rest was the USA forces doing a brilliant job.
Originally Posted by Zucchini
Rear Admiral Tanaka was widely respected by the USN. He was a fierce fighter - often scoring amazing victories against long odds.
Sent a request to the mods, so now we wait I suppose.
March 1st, 2005  
Admiral Raizo Tanaka has been added as requested.
March 1st, 2005  
Charge 7
I think Thunder would agree to this, could you please also change Captain Walker to Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsey?
March 2nd, 2005  
Even though Walker was a ship commander, his ideas on anti-sub warfare were very intuitve and brilliant in my estimation. He is probably misplaced here, but he did have substantial impact on things well outside his own ship.

Ramsey seems to have been deeply involved in two very important things: The evacuation of the BEF from Dunkirk and the Normandy invasion. One constituted a race against time, the other was a massive amphibious assault. That potentially makes him a brilliant organizer of large scale amphibious movements, but the article you linked is extremely scarce on the details. Neither of those leads one to conclude that he was brilliant naval strategist since there was no significant opposing navy in either circumstance.
March 2nd, 2005  
Here is a better website on Tassafaronga, as well as other Naval battles in the South Pacific:

Battle damage - USS New Orleans after bow blown away by Long Lance:

March 2nd, 2005  
I picked Yamamoto, the man on the opposite side of the chessboard from Nimitz. He had realistic view and knew that his nation was getting in over their head by attacking the USA. He gave it his all anyways and he did a brilliant job with what he had available. The USA almost definitely ended the war more quickly by assassinating him.
March 2nd, 2005  
Charge 7
I wouldn't call it "assassinating". He was in the military and a legitimate military target the same as any other Japanese - the fact that we went out of our way to kill him not withstanding.

The more I read about Yamamoto the more I've come to the conclusion that his accomplishments while often well done have been over played simply because he was the best the Japanese had.
March 2nd, 2005  
My vote goes to Admiral Andrew B. Cunningham, who's aggressive handling of the out-numbered RN, denied the Italian Navy control of the Med.