GPS

Whispering Death

I've been wondering, is there any sort of encryption available for the GPS satellites?

I mean, let's just imagine a fictional war between the US and China, is there any way the US can make it so only their tanks and ships can use the GPS and so China can't use the US GPS satelites for their units?

I'm interested because I know lots of shipping uses GPS satelites now so what would happen to all the civilians if this theoretical GPS encryption was used?

Whispering Death said:
I've been wondering, is there any sort of encryption available for the GPS satellites?

I mean, let's just imagine a fictional war between the US and China, is there any way the US can make it so only their tanks and ships can use the GPS and so China can't use the US GPS satelites for their units?

I'm interested because I know lots of shipping uses GPS satelites now so what would happen to all the civilians if this theoretical GPS encryption was used?

there is a automatic corruption to all non US miltary GPS units. military GPS is literally pinpoint accurate (depending on the number of satilites it can "fix" onto)

where as civilian ones are acuurate to around 10 meters (or feet)

of course there are. well, others still have ways to walk around that, the europeans are designing their version, russians already have one system, and for country like china, they have setelite too and joined the european development years ago.

Pretty much your best bet is to have your own GPS constallation up there... and hope the Americans didn't come up with something to blow them up!

the_13th_redneck said:
Pretty much your best bet is to have your own GPS constallation up there... and hope the Americans didn't come up with something to blow them up!

Too late, we've had anti-satelite systems up there since the 80s. :D

Back on topic, so what would happen to, like, shipping if that happened? I know there are a lot of people who use GPS these days just to navigate so it seems like it could be problematic if all of a sudden no one's GPS worked anymore, any thoughts?

Whispering Death said:
the_13th_redneck said:

Too late, we've had anti-satelite systems up there since the 80s. :D

Back on topic, so what would happen to, like, shipping if that happened? I know there are a lot of people who use GPS these days just to navigate so it seems like it could be problematic if all of a sudden no one's GPS worked anymore, any thoughts?

well i'd be hoping that the training schools are still teaching traditional navigation! sextant etc etc

Yeah, but there are other things like how mountaineers and such use GPS for navigation. Also, I know the U.S. gov't uses a 3rd party company that uses GPS to track all semi-trucks carrying hazerdous items across the U.S. and I doubt the millitary would have lightly given out their GPS secrets to these truckers. I've already mentioned maritime navigation but if GPS is this important for international shipping computers, imagine how many other civilian uses GPS has around the world?

Would all of those all go out at the flip of a switch in the defence department? Seems worrisome if that's the case, don't you guys think?

Whispering Death said:
Yeah, but there are other things like how mountaineers and such use GPS for navigation. Also, I know the U.S. gov't uses a 3rd party company that uses GPS to track all semi-trucks carrying hazerdous items across the U.S. and I doubt the millitary would have lightly given out their GPS secrets to these truckers. I've already mentioned maritime navigation but if GPS is this important for international shipping computers, imagine how many other civilian uses GPS has around the world?

Would all of those all go out at the flip of a switch in the defence department? Seems worrisome if that's the case, don't you guys think?

as someone who uses a GPS handset at time for bush navigation, i don't see it being a big problem...i know how to navigate with a map & compass.

GPS hasn't been around that long...it all goes with the dangers of becoming too reliant on technology. china and europe are putting their own GPS constelations up....so long story short, in a time of war i don't think there would be any added confusion because GPS wasn't 100%

Back