Good words meaning bad things - Page 2

--
Boots

June 3rd, 2004  
Achilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmb101
yea, in england a fagget is a cigarrette, but in the us it means a homosexual.
it also means a bundle of sticks used for fire.
June 3rd, 2004  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureRANGER
Oh and btw there's that stinking language barrier again . I believe our slang translates different too. From what I gathered I don't think "kut" and f*** do not mean exactly the same thing, but I got the gist of it.
As I said they don't mean the same, but they are used in the same way, for instance if I were to leave the house, shut the door and realise I forgot to bring my keys, I’d use that word to ventilate my annoyance. Off course, we don’t use the word “kut” in case of a translation of “f**k you” It’s not exactly the same word or use, but it’s as close as I can get to translating it. I think the mean reason for the use of words like F*ck and “kut” is the pronunciation, it’s just nice to shout or whisper and put your anger or frustration into that one word. There are worse ways to react to a setback…
June 3rd, 2004  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie
Most of the time you have to write "Richard" Cheney on posts, because his first name will be blocked out otherwise.
Now thats fun. Yeah we used to have that kind of problem back in the 60s or 70s here, on TV. No one was allowed to use the word Membro ( member ) on TV, because it also means the man's big banana, you know. Or they couldn't say Scopare ( to sweep ), coz it also mean to f***k.
It was just so puritan. Now its all changed, though. But it sometimes happen that some names pop up such as dick, or balls, and the host just feigns nonchalance, y' know.
BTW I thought you americans used C**k more often than D**k.
Italian people studying English tend to use B**ch with the meaning of W**re, but as far as I know it just means a very nasty woman, right?
--
Boots
June 3rd, 2004  
bush musketeer

Topic: bumbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureRANGER
Do they sell fanny packs in England? And if they do what do they call them?
i'm am pretty sure them bags are called the same thing as in austrailia bumbags because they tend to be worn at the back
June 3rd, 2004  
Redneck

Alright, sorry 1217, this is getting a little out of hand (don't want to be getting all of the junior high kids suspended ).