Good Friday Message from Iraq

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
This was sent to me from a good friend this morning. I think that it is pretty special.

Yesterday, Thursday, 20 March:

We checked in at the military passenger terminal at Tallil AB to see if there were seats on a flight back to Balad today. We were told that there were six seats and to come back in two hours to confirm whether we could get onboard. The two of us, my training officer - Ms Sylvia Gilmore, and I, figured we had a good shot and so went off to finish up our work efforts and get some lunch. We came at 1300 and were told there were now only three seats but we were got two of them. We dropped our bags and put our feet up to wait.

About an hour later, the young sergeant that worked there came up to me and asked if I was retired military, and I told him yes I was. He then asked me if I would accept responsibility as the mission commander for our element. I told him of course I would. I looked at the flight manifest and noticed three passengers listed, a floor load, but no palletized load. I looked back at the names: Remmey, Gilmore, and “Name withheld.”

I looked back at him, and he seemed a little uncomfortable. I then looked out onto the tarmac where the aircraft would pull up and noticed a forklift waiting, but also a cargo van parked nearby. I understood. I said to him, “Thank you Sergeant for asking me to accept the responsibility for the passengers on this manifest.” He looked back at me both knowingly and relieved. I printed my signature block and signed the document.

The aircraft landed in about thirty minutes. As the engines shut down, the forklift pulled up to the aircraft to remove the pallet from its ramp as two folks got off there and were guided to the passenger terminal. The aircraft load master motioned for Ms. Gilmore and I to approach the aircraft and to climb aboard. He took the manifest from the ground crew and spoke with him for a minute. He then came to me and confirmed that I was MAJ Remmey. I told him I was and that I understood the responsibility. He thanked me and showed us where to place our bags forward in the aircraft as he moved some other items forward as well.

With the forklift out of the way, he waved to the ground crew and motioned the cargo van towards the ramp of the aircraft. The van pulled up, and the detail with it opened the rear doors. There laid one aluminum casket, containing our third passenger, “Name Withheld.” While Gilmore and I were only returning to Balad, our brother, or sister as it may have been, was returning all the way home. We stood at attention as the casket was secured to the floor of the aircraft and then we shared a silent prayer. The forklift brought the pallet back to the ramp, we sat down in the first two seats, the aircraft started its engines and we took off.

Arriving at Balad, as a forklift pulled up to remove the pallet, we saw another cargo van with detail was standing by. The other passengers who had been onboard disembarked, and then we did. Hands over hearts, we said goodbye to “Name Withheld” and prayed for God’s peace to be with this soldier and with their family.

I began writing this account while flying yesterday, and then I it finished this morning, Good Friday. How right that God always reminds us of His presence in our lives, especially when He sends a message like this to reinforce our appreciation and understanding of His gift of sacrifice made for us this Holy Week.

God’s Peace to All.

I have seen this quote many times, and it has never seemed more appropriate:
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I. ~One died for your soul, the other for your freedom~"
--Author Unknown

Back