Getting bigger

FutureDevilDog

Hey all, this is gonna sound kinda dumb, but, I work out SO much and i never get any bigger. When I say workout I mean mostly push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. I was wondering if there was anyway to get bigger without taking steroids.

push ups and sit ups work more muscle endurance than strength. I know this because my swimming is the one thing that improves my pushups and situps more than any other thing to include pushups and sit ups.

There be many theories on how to get big. For me, lifting a lot of weight for 3 sets of 6-8 reps makes my tiny muscles a little bigger. Since I am trying to be a cardio monkey at the moment, I am staying away from the weight room and spending my time in the pool and on the bike.

Body building (actually building) does require maxing reps or near maxing reps. Push-ups, sit-ups, etc. does build endurance and streamline the body, building mass requires pumping iron. Google it or check with a gym rat body builder for good tips.

I would attribute this much more to your young age of 14 than to any fault of your own. The human body has to mature and change and at 14 most guys don't have their muscle mass developed yet. You grow tall and long before you grow in girth, that's why it is called "filling out".

If you where 17, 18, I'd tell you to change up your weight lifting regimine in a few ways and to add a good amount of well-ballanced full proteins.

But the thing is you can do all the stuff bodybuilders do and only put on fat mass instead of muscle mass. Stay trim and healthy and in a year or two your body will fill out giving you the ability to start crushing skulls.

dont screw w/ creatine, all it does is fill your muscles w/ water and if you dont drink tons of water and work out 3-5 times a week it will dammage you and if you plan on joining the military it will screw you over in boot camp, its funny watching Recruits lose size b/c they used creatine or something like that before they went in. if you want to use something, just take protein shakes w/ lifting weights, but as the guy before me said, until you get a little older just let your body develop naturally.

At 14 there is nothing you can do. I tried. I could never top 80 kg's all through high school no matter what and I tried it all. I could lift pretty heavy weights and never bulked up. Then naturally while in the Army after I hit 22 I exploded. I went up to 100 kgs in one year. It had nothing to do with anything but body chemistry.

Size does not equate strength. You can become very strong and not bulk up. If youre interested I can post the info for some books that will show you how to train to do this. The author is Tudor Bompa and he is the genius behind a lot of pro sports teams training programmes.

Skip the protein shakes. Until you are lifting like Arnie you dont need it and it will be converted to fat. Take a muti-vitamin if you take anything and eat a lot of greens for your calcium. Canned tuna is your best source of protein. Low in fat and high in omega-3 oils and has all the protein you need.

EDIT: lol i didnt see that you are 14. uhh ya wait about 2 years then follow my post. at 14 your body is still not at point of rebuilding muscle. all that you will get from you lifting weight, is tired.

the keys to lifting weights for the purpose of getting bigger are knowing when to stop lifting, and knowing when and what to eat.

before starting out make sure you chose a weight where you can do 3 sets of 8-10 reps, where you struggle to get those last 4-5 reps of your last set up. its more important to choose a weight that you can get all the reps done than having a heavy weight.

cycle days in which you lift. Heres what we used in football.

Monday, upper body (bench, incline, military, traps, curls and such)
Tuesday, lower body (squat, dead lift, power cleans, hams and quads)
Wednesday, cardio. this is key because you want to let the anareobic muscles to have time to recover. the way muscles get bigger is that during a workout, muscles tear. the two day recovery time allows your body to rebuild the muscle stronger and bigger than before. that is when you get bigger.
Thurday, upper body
Friday, lower body
saturday, cardio.
sunday, SLEEP! lol

my football team had a whole nutritional course we had to follow. and man did it work. i dropped 10% body fat. the main keys are to drink lots of water throughout the day. i was at about a gallon of water a day. also, gatorade AFTER workouts, not during or before. and from the end of your workout, you have about 30 minutes to get the protein in you. with that not being much time, what you can do is take a protein shake before working out. that will extend the time frame a little. after lifting empty about 2 cans of tuna on 4 sandwiches. wheat bread, and a little mustard to hide the god awefull taste of tuna. make sure you have 3 good meals a day, along with fruits and vegetables (this will provide the sugars your body will need. so 2-3 eggs or even a bowl of cereal. then the tuna for luch, and some turkey or chicken with rice for dinner. And finally, i think it goes without saying, no soda. nothing sugary (cept the fruit and veggies). and most important of all, NOTHING FRIED.

Hope this helps you as much as it helped me.

I was watching a female body builder before a competition because I was amazed at the definition the poor woman had achieved. What surprised me was the trainer had her pump up as far as she could go and very quickly had her lie on a massage table and he began to pull and separate the muscle tears. He explained that the tears that make the muscles bulge will grow back together and the idea was to keep the small tears apart long enough to grow wider and therefore increase in size when not pumped up. The woman was in intense pain during the stretching.

Now, it can be done. Here is a kid who proved it. He started lifting at 2 yrs old and is pretty ripped.
http://www.richardsandrak.com/Pictures.htm
Hercules.jpg

There was a documentary on that on TV at one point not too long ago. Seems there was some concern about some drink his father was giving him. Dunno, I do know that he was a very well setup young man. I can not imagine what his life was like growing up with the dedication it took to get to that point.

Future, you know I'm pretty built. Um I started working out at 14 and I would say it had effects on me, but it may take time as well. Don't mess with steroids, creatine, anything like that. Don't exceed with protein shakes either. Eat a lot, just tray to avoid fat and sweet- The rest will come in 1 or 2 years.

By saying it had effects do you mean you were able to see results or that it had adverse effects?

bulldogg said:
By saying it had effects do you mean you were able to see results or that it had adverse effects?

See results. But you shouldn't be fanatic on that you know. Or else your body won't develop correctly. The 14-18 phase is the most delicate as far as the overall balance between muscles, height and weight. He shouldn't interfere with the body rhythms at that age. Just lift light weighs, keep fit and eat well.

Back