Of the mighty shepherd
Who took my breath away

A Vision
written by Carol Kufner

Sensa parola

IMG00038-20111127-1142.jpg

Image0161.jpg

Beautiful dogs Trooper.

Here is a picture of Merlin's son Spud. His mum was a Groenendael Belgian Shepherd, he takes after his mum with a white flash on his chest and white on his back toes and a very narrow head when compared to a German Shepherd. He is actually quite a pretty dog.

Although he looks like his mum, he takes after Merlin with his antics and mannerisms.

He's not as big as Merlin, he's only just turned two years old.

My son with his typical dry humour said, "Spud is a product of when Germany invaded Belgium."

Last edited:
That's a handsome chap.
I like the Belgian Shepherd.
More Police forces are using Belgian Shepherds now. Suposedly they are more controlable.
I attended an armed siege a while back.
This guy was held up in his house completely surrounded by Police.
The only injury I had to deal with was a Police officer who got bitten trying to seperate the two Police dogs who had started fighting!
They threatened to send the dogs in and the bloke gave up!:-D

I know the Belgian Police are using a breed of Belgian Shepherds. I've seen video of them on training exercises, they don't call them hell on wheels for nothing.. One of the dogs clamped his teeth on the handler's arm and only let go when the handler swung him around a few times.

I too like the Belgian Shepherds, but they look too pretty, while the German Shepherd look regal, royalty almost.

My son attended a domestic a few years ago as they approached the house someone shot at them. My son said he and his buddy did a 180 and did better then the 4 minute mile, dropped behind cover and let the cops deal with the shooter.

Last edited:
As people are probably aware that the death of my loyal and devoted German Shepherd hit me very hard. I vowed I would get another one when the time was right, well I felt the time was right yesterday and brought home a sweet little 8 week old female and named Molly.

She is settling in quite well, although I forgot how much hard work a puppy can be, especially being woken up at 3:15am when she wants to play.

Molly is sitting at my feet right now sound asleep, it's been a very busy day for her.

I still miss Merlin a great deal, Molly will never replace my boy.

Last edited:
We've had a German Shepherd and a Belgian Shepherd. The German is stronger but more playful. The Belgian is very loyal, he'll defend his master with his life.

Belgian police came to our barracks to train with their Belgian Shepherds. One of them said that his dog was very aggressive but only when he gave the order. Even when the firing was going on they sat beside their master, waiting for the order.

We had to put our German Shepherd asleep because he attacked other dogs (when they were smaller than himself). Our Belgian Shepherd was put asleep last week because of cancer.

We now have 2 Spanish Mastiffs (not a pedigree)

We've had a German Shepherd and a Belgian Shepherd. The German is stronger but more playful. The Belgian is very loyal, he'll defend his master with his life.

Belgian police came to our barracks to train with their Belgian Shepherds. One of them said that his dog was very aggressive but only when he gave the order. Even when the firing was going on they sat beside their master, waiting for the order.

We had to put our German Shepherd asleep because he attacked other dogs (when they were smaller than himself). Our Belgian Shepherd was put asleep last week because of cancer.

I am so sorry you had to put your Belgian Shepherd to sleep. I know how much it hurts.

I just love German Shepherds, they are also extremely loyal, they always look so proud.

I am sorry to hear about your Belgian Shepherd, they are family members and we all mourn when they are gone

Back