German MG42 Vs. US Deployable Browning

JonnyC

Guys, does anyone think that Germany had anything like an equivalant to the US Deployable Browning during World War Two? The MG42 was surely not anything like in the same league as the Browning...

Also, could I ask: has the modern Browning .50 machine gun been modified much since World War Two (I know that the MG42 became the M60)?

Last edited:
Guys, does anyone think that Germany had anything like an equivalant to the US Deployable Browning during World War Two? The MG42 was surely not anything like in the same league as the Browning...

Also, could I ask: has the modern Browning .50 machine gun been modified much since World War Two (I know that the MG42 became the M60)?

First of when you say Browning are you talking about the .30 Browning (used by US MG Teams) or the .50 Browning? The .50 is not an infantry weapon, its designed as a anti-aircraft and anti-vehicle.

The MG42 far superior to the .30 Browning. That's not to take anything away from the Browning, but the MG42 revolutionized the Light Machine Gun. Its ROF was far superior to any Allied MG of any army of the entire war. Which is why the MG42 descendants like the M60 and German MG 3 (a Moderized MG42) were devoloped. The .30 while reliable, was a design that is but all standards today completely obsolete. Its too slow, its too heavy, and it requires too much resources to operate.

As for the M2 .50 yes there have been varients. For example different barrels and gun mounts for different requirements but the core of the gun still remains unchanged.

Back