George Lucas planning 'Star Wars' TV series

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
But be forewarned: 'It has nothing to do with Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader,' according to the films' mastermind.
By Geoff Boucher
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

October 17, 2007

Attention, TV executives: The Force may soon be with you.

Filmmaker George Lucas said Tuesday that he has "just begun work" on a live-action television series rooted in the "Star Wars" universe, which is huge news not just for fans of the science-fiction epic but also for networks looking for a piece of the Lucas magic that has grossed $4.3 billion in theaters worldwide.

There is a caveat, though: The proposed series doesn't have anyone named Luke or Anakin in it, a story path that Lucas concedes is "taking chances" as far as connecting with an audience expecting the familiar mythology.

"The Skywalkers aren't in it, and it's about minor characters," Lucas said in an interview. "It has nothing to do with Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader or any of those people. It's completely different. But it's a good idea, and it's going to be a lot of fun to do."

Lucas joked that the series would be about "the life of robots" but wouldn't let any details slip about the true premise. The "extended universe" of "Star Wars" has come to life already in Lucas-sanctioned novels, comics and games that chronicle the history of the Jedi and tell the tales of bit players in the films, such as the bounty hunters from "The Empire Strikes Back."

Lucas already has another television series percolating: Lucas Animation has been working for months on "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," a computer-animated series that he hopes will introduce a new era of visuals to weekly episodic television. Lucas plans to produce it through his own companies before shopping the finished product to networks.

That model may also be used for the live-action show, although producer Rick McCallum said Tuesday that it's too early to say. McCallum is interviewing writers for the live-action series.

Lucas is confident he can find a home for his droids and Jedi, but he also knows the projects are unorthodox enough to give network executives pause.

"They are having a hard time," Lucas said. "They're saying, 'This doesn't fit into our little square boxes,' and I say, 'Well, yeah, but it's "Star Wars." And "Star Wars" doesn't fit into that box.' "

geoff.boucher@latimes.com

The Star wars sites have been on this since the release of "Revenge of the Sith". I will share what rumors I know from there.

It will not focus on the main characters, but might have cameos from them. Already people like Frank Oz (Yoda) and Ewan McGregor (Obi-wan) have stated they'd be very interested as "guest stars".

Another strong possibilty is that some of the minor characters such as the Famous Mandalorian Armored Bounty Hunter will get a prominent role. Boba Fett had been largely viewed as a villain in the movies, but Lucas (due to the characters popularity) is interested to follow extended universe canon concerning Boba Fett. In the extended universe, he is man who follows his own code. Fett is neither good nor evil, he has worked for both, including the Rebellion from time to time. He does have a specific hatred for both the Jedi and Han Solo but they are for personal reasons not ideological ones. Fett believes in order and justice. He just doesn't care what form it takes. He does feel that the Empire is corrupt, but that a bad system of government is better than no system of government.

Another character rumored to return is T'Song-Chi. She is the Female Twi'lek Jedi Knight (the fashion model with headtails) we saw gunned down by Clone Troopers in Episode III. She will have survived her apparent murder, and be a Jedi in hiding.

The series will be set during the 'Dark Times', a 20 year period when the Empire was at the height of its nastiness, (Episode III was just the prelude). We will see the birth and opening moves of the Alliance and of the construction of the Death Star.

Last edited:
yeah they were talking about it on the radio this morning.....i havent seen much of the star wars except for the last one i think...

Sweet, more stormtroopers! It should be better than Battlestar Galactia. (no offense to the Battlestar Galactia fans)

I'm more on the dark side. Go stormtroopers. heh

The Star wars sites have been on this since the release of "Revenge of the Sith". I will share what rumors I know from there.

It will not focus on the main characters, but might have cameos from them. Already people like Frank Oz (Yoda) and Ewan McGregor (Obi-wan) have stated they'd be very interested as "guest stars".

Another strong possibilty is that some of the minor characters such as the Famous Mandalorian Armored Bounty Hunter will get a prominent role. Boba Fett had been largely viewed as a villain in the movies, but Lucas (due to the characters popularity) is interested to follow extended universe canon concerning Boba Fett. In the extended universe, he is man who follows his own code. Fett is neither good nor evil, he has worked for both, including the Rebellion from time to time. He does have a specific hatred for both the Jedi and Han Solo but they are for personal reasons not ideological ones. Fett believes in order and justice. He just doesn't care what form it takes. He does feel that the Empire is corrupt, but that a bad system of government is better than no system of government.

Another character rumored to return is T'Song-Chi. She is the Female Twi'lek Jedi Knight (the fashion model with headtails) we saw gunned down by Clone Troopers in Episode III. She will have survived her apparent murder, and be a Jedi in hiding.

The series will be set during the 'Dark Times', a 20 year period when the Empire was at the height of its nastiness, (Episode III was just the prelude). We will see the birth and opening moves of the Alliance and of the construction of the Death Star.
Wow...Mmarsh...Hell, I can't even say anything. LOL

I like the sounds of a Star Wars based TV series. Been a Star Wars fan for years and I always took an interest into the stories behind the minor characters.

Like TI said, if this is done right, it could very well be a great series.

This time, we'll retrain those Stormtrooper schmucks into something a bit more formidable. We'll be opening a brand new training facility which will consist of nothing but miserable mud, an obstacle course with real mines and for the first time ever, a firing range.

There have been a lot of star wars novels and comics since the last movie, so they have a lot of material to work with, that is for sure.

Last I heard, he survived his encounter with the maw (or whatever it was that he flew into and was sucked up) from ROTJ...

I'll have to keep an eye on this...I'd also probably watch this.

Last I heard, he survived his encounter with the maw (or whatever it was that he flew into and was sucked up) from ROTJ...

Yes, Boba Fett suvived the Sarlacc in "Return of the Jedi" because I just finished the book "The Unifying Force; The New Jedi Order #19" that takes place about 24 years after ROTJ. In that book Boba Fett, and his group of Mandalorian mercenaries, saves Han Solo´s and Leia´s ass from the "Yuuzhan Vong" that tried to kill the Solo´s.

JOKER

P.S. I hope it will be a great show and they don´t **** it up!!!!

Last edited:
I grew up on the original SW movie so I hope they don't focus too heavily on Jedi Gucci and his Lambergini style starfighter come to save the day.
So much for Lucas' used universe.

Unfortunately, I doubt it'll go anywhere. The movies were enough and a T.V series, IMO, won't have enough material since most people don't read the books.

Back