Garage mechanic wanted, opportunities for travel

perseus

Thiis reminds me of the days I used to spend working on my old rusty car! It sounds like they need a good garage mechanic up there.

Suspended outside the shuttle Atlantis more than 500km above Earth, the astronauts were delayed by a handrail blocking a cover held by 111 tiny screws that had to be opened.....

After several failed attempts to unscrew the bolt on the handrail they ended up tearing it off with brute force.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8054857.stm

Obviously like cars they don't design space telescopes them to be disassembled! Perhaps there are some special conditions in a vacuum that cause the components to self weld?

Thiis reminds me of the days I used to spend working on my old rusty car! It sounds like they need a good garage mechanic up there.

Obviously like cars they don't design space telescopes them to be disassembled! Perhaps there are some special conditions in a vacuum that cause the components to self weld?
Actually, no. Instead any pressure difference in the hole will be similar. Anyone that has had to open an ammo can at near sea level that was last close at 10,000' has experienced this. Likewise, near sea level versus 10,000'. Here I have had to unscrew an electrical box that was screwed together around 1,200', yet my home sits right around 10,200'. It can be easy and it can be real tough.

Back