Fully Automatic Shotgun

You're better off with an M-16 or AK-47 variant at a longer range. One shot, the enemy is dead if you're good. With a shotgun you've gotta be very close, and the kick on even a pump-action is incredible.

Yeah, looking at the Jackhammer, its like the the ultimate panic button for short range. I did some looking around and there are several other models of the thing, but mostly from 3rd world countries (where killing mass amounts of people at once is a bonus I suppose).

Jackhammer was all about CQB, there are VERY few select fire or full auto shotguns being used anywhere let alone being produced. I think most could count on one had the number of full auto shotgun versions and none of them are in full production or in full issue anywhere.

Most novices will look at the drum and think it's like a striker or something of that ilk and it's not at all. It was WAY before it's time.

The drum is factory sealed, not loaded in the field. The drum is disposable and actually can be used as a AP landmine.

Not select fire, pump and semi-auto. The Jackhammer is select fire (safe, semi, and full auto.

The SPAS-12 is by no means the "best" nor is it light weight. In fact it could very well be considered one of the worst. If anything the SPAS 15 would maybe be a mediocre one...but again that's not full auto either.

Time said:
Best light weight one is the Spas-12

But again, the jack hammer is a selct fire weapon (semi/full auto) shot gun, the SPAS-12 is not. So it can't be a better version of a full auto shotgun when it's not one to start with.

Question:
"I was wondering what people's thoughts on the Jackhammer are. Also curious if there are any contemporary and/or better designs."

You say SPAS 12 is better and lighter...but it's not a contemporary or a better design of a full auto shotgun, as it' isn't one.

SPAS-12 is pump and semi auto only.
SPAS-15 S pump and semi auto only
Jackhammer select fire semi and full auto...different animals.

One could maybe argue that the USAS-12 is a better select fire shotgun,

Time said:
Spas-12 has flaws I know, but I still like it.

Interesting that the USAS12 is a Korean made weapon. By its name, you'd think it was an American make.

I see tremendous merit to the concept of a fire selectable fully-automatic shotguns, especially in hostile environments and/or any situation that is likely to see a need for throwing a lot of deadly projectiles in the air in a very short amount of time -- so ideally flechettes ammo so you have some penetration -- would be used. The usefulness of a single fire shotgun has proven its place in the military arsenal. This would just be a shotgun with an extra option, so its hardly useless.

Definitely, the Jackhammer or USAS12 would not your main weapon. Lack accuracy at decent range is a real problem.

Neither were designed for anything but CQB and suppressive fire on area targets.

It is a US designed weapon, done so by Maxwell Atchisson. It was licensed to be produced by Dewoo.

All part of a lead up to the CAWS program...which has recently be restarted.

USAS prototype circa 1978
at1978.jpg

That photograph is very old, but yeah no matter what the cover they use, it often looks like an M-16 on steroids. Usually they also have a large, oversized carry handle.

Combat shot guns are useful in heavily wooded areas and also in urban combat. They don't require much accuracy and pack a good punch. They were used in Vietnam and still have roles to play in many armies and police forces.

Of course it's old it was taken in the '70's and that prototype doesn't even exist anymore.

the_13th_redneck said:
That photograph is very old, but yeah no matter what the cover they use, it often looks like an M-16 on steroids. Usually they also have a large, oversized carry handle.

Combat shot guns are useful in heavily wooded areas and also in urban combat. They don't require much accuracy and pack a good punch. They were used in Vietnam and still have roles to play in many armies and police forces.

Well regardless of what I can't see there, I think that I'd go with the Jackhammer or the USAS12 as my shortranged boomstick-from-hell of choice. Seriously, firing 8-12 rounds of 00 buckshot in a matter of only a few seconds ... it would just be something I'd love to experience.

They have their uses. Use flechette ammo and you're filling the air in front of you with kevlar piercing deadly projectiles. You just begin with the understanding that its a secondary weapon, usable in very specific circumstances. Assault rifle remains the king under the vast majority of circumstance.

Back