French pool bars Muslim woman for 'burquini' suit (AP)

--

August 12th, 2009  
News Manager

Topic: French pool bars Muslim woman for 'burquini' suit (AP)

AP - A Muslim woman garbed in a head-to-toe swimsuit dubbed a "burquini" may have opened a new chapter in France's tussle between religious practices and its stern secular code.

More...
August 12th, 2009  
rattler

so much for integration...

Rattler
September 27th, 2009  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler

Rattler
To be honest I don't have a problem with this, the French have set their standards and clearly plan to enforce them, as long as they are equally zealous with the symbols and garb of all religions then it is hardly prejudicial just extreme secularism.
--
September 27th, 2009  
Chukpike

The womens attempt to use the pool was clearly a jab at the French laws. Under strict Islamic customs a Muslim women would not be allowed to use the pool in the first place. It would have had to be a pool for women only.
September 27th, 2009  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler

Rattler
The French don't believe in integration. You are either accept French culture or you don't come here. This is made very clear to all new arrivals, French Law and Culture is the only law of the land. People are allowed to practice their faith and culture as long as it doesn't attempt to supersede those of France.

One of the core tenets of French culture is that of Strict secularism. Any attempt seen to impose a religion in public will be rooted out. The French view the Burka as a symbol of enslavement, that's why its not tolerated in any public venue.
September 27th, 2009  
Nina

Well..I see no discrimination in the "no burquini" allowed at the pool. But plain common sense, hygiene, public health rules and regulation for sharing same pool water.
Same "no no" into place for anyone not wearing regular swimming suit, just following the whatever specific rules around where people resides, etc.

I do remember years ago when few Brazilian ladies were invited to leave the public pool park (here in the USA, south) because wearing very small, indecent tong style bikinis. They did not read the rules placed very visible big letters, at the park pool entrance. then Brazilian community newspaper wrote an article advising women to not wear their small bikinis at public pools, etc IF they do not want to be embarrassed by someone asking them to leave the pool.

Conclusion: extremes may not be allowed in most public places, better follow the rules. My motto.
September 29th, 2009  
Nina

There was also an Italian city that banned burqini from their beaches also..
September 29th, 2009  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
The French don't believe in integration. You are either accept French culture or you don't come here. This is made very clear to all new arrivals, French Law and Culture is the only law of the land. People are allowed to practice their faith and culture as long as it doesn't attempt to supersede those of France.

One of the core tenets of French culture is that of Strict secularism. Any attempt seen to impose a religion in public will be rooted out. The French view the Burka as a symbol of enslavement, that's why its not tolerated in any public venue.
For what it's worth, the French just went up 10 points in my eyes.
September 30th, 2009  
captiva303

secularism in its extreme is a bit rough though...
September 30th, 2009  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by captiva303
secularism in its extreme is a bit rough though...
I dont agree and neither would the French. The French swam in blood for 800 years due to wars caused between Christians fighting Muslims and Jews, but espicially fighting other Christians...

The Conclusion of the French Revolution was Religion and Politics don't mix. And since Religon was banned from political office by the revolution, there havent been any religious wars on French Terriitory.

The French aren't they only ones who have adopted this attitude. The Turkish Constutition is strictly secular and that is inforced by the military whose primary mandate is to make sure religion doesnt interfere in state affairs.