French carrier Charles De Gaulle

--

February 1st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Topic: French carrier Charles De Gaulle

Source:
http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/2003127.asp

Basically an article on how not to build an aircraft carrier... i.e. like the De Gaulle.
It's a good read so I recommend you go through it. It's not a very long article either.

On the other hand, other articles haven't repeated these sentiments. Maybe they finally did iron out the problems. However, for future carriers it seems the French are more interested in adopting a British design. The British have some on the drawing board and the French want in on it.

Actually I found a 1999 Dutch source:
http://www.antenna.nl/wise/index.htm.../505/4972.html

But that's 1999.
February 7th, 2005  
Darcia

The carrier may have some problems but you also have to lok at it like this: France hasn't had a New carrier in almost 30 years now. The new carrier design though should probably be a joint project between some group of EU nations though.
February 7th, 2005  
A Can of Man

They're thinking of doing a joint project with the UK, but already it's hitting some bumps as the French want most of the work to be done in French shipyards.
--
February 7th, 2005  
SHERMAN

But the french have a carrier with real fighter aircraft, unlike the british that have the harrier. you cant compare a Harrier to a Rafael...
February 7th, 2005  
A Can of Man

No, the new one isn't going to be a Harrier carrying ship. It's going to be rather big, and it's going to use real aircraft.
The JSF is probably going to be their main fighter working off it. It's VTOL, but I don't think the French would shake on anything that wouldn't take their fixed wing aircraft.
February 7th, 2005  
Charge 7

Interesting. I was always under the impression that a Harrier _was_ a real aircraft.
February 7th, 2005  
03USMC

Yeah don't tell the Brit or USMC pilots Harriers ain't real
February 8th, 2005  
A Can of Man

AWWW COME ON!!! Stop being so sensitive. You know what I mean. F-18s, F-14s, that sort of stuff! Things that can at least pretend to break the sound barrier!
February 8th, 2005  
Sea_Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
No, the new one isn't going to be a Harrier carrying ship. It's going to be rather big, and it's going to use real aircraft.
The JSF is probably going to be their main fighter working off it. It's VTOL, but I don't think the French would shake on anything that wouldn't take their fixed wing aircraft.
why not just call them conventional aircraft
February 8th, 2005  
A Can of Man

garrrrggghhh.