Flag Rises From Mud, Flies In Iraq

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
April 14, 2008 Honor restored: Once left on the ground -- literally in U.S. soil in Conyers -- the banner was shipped to the war front, where it received a military salute.
By John Hollis, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Operation Restore Honor proved a major hit at Forward Operating Base Delta in Iraq, and the guest of honor has already made its way back home.
A mix of 170 U.S. soldiers and civilians recently braved 100-degree temperatures and the risk of enemy fire to attend a ceremony to restore dignity to an American flag found lying in the mud last month in front of a Conyers apartment complex.
The 30-minute ceremony to hoist the flag included a helicopter fly-over, the singing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" and the Pledge of Allegiance.
The service was the culmination of efforts by Chief Warrant Officer Tom Golden, a helicopter pilot serving his second tour of duty in Iraq with the Georgia National Guard.
"It seems like such a simple act," the Conyers native said in an e-mail from Iraq, "but you really can't understand the totality and meaning that our flag has until you've been away from the U.S. and been in a place that flying our flag is frowned upon and could bring unwanted consequences."
Dan Turner, a 54-year-old residential designer in the construction business with strong family ties to the military, discovered the flag lying in the mud.
Turner picked up the flag and mailed it to Golden, his good friend of nearly 20 years.
The flag soon arrived at FOB Delta, located in the Wasit Province southeast of Baghdad near the Iranian border.
Golden arranged for the ceremony on March 22. He received some unexpected help from Navy Petty Officer First Class Andrew Rountree, a relatively new arrival to the base.
Rountree's parents live in Texas but had read about the flag's background after a story in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Rountree's father is a Vietnam veteran, while both of his deceased grandfathers also served in the military.
Upon learning where their son was headed, Rountree's parents implored him to seek out Golden and join in the effort.
Rountree served as one of the ceremonial flag folders.
"My military family means a lot to me," he said via e-mail from Iraq, "and restoring Old Glory as a foundation of faith in freedom in America is a mission I whole-heartedly believe in."
The ceremony touched a patriotic chord with many of the troops at FOB Delta. The flag detail raised, lowered and folded the flag eight times so soldiers could have their pictures taken with it.
The flag returned to the United States this past weekend with Lt. Col. Tony Sutter, an Atlanta resident coming home on leave. Sutter delivered it back to Turner.
It's not entirely clear just where the flag will end up. State Sen. John Douglas, a Republican whose district includes Conyers, has offered to find a spot at the state Capitol.
Golden said the entire experience will stick with him "for years to come."
"I felt proud to be standing out front saluting the colors, surrounded by others who felt the same way," he said.

Back