Fine, why'd ya ask?

Charge 7

Master Gunner
This was early in my career (notice how all the funny stuff happened then?) and I had just gotten back to my unit's firing point at the tail end of what was then called "The 72 hour mission" which was 3 days straight war simulation with virtually no chance to sleep other than perhaps a 15 minute catnap here and there. I was coming in from doing advance work on our next firing point and was dragging my ass severely. I had about made it to my tent when this guy in the bushes says "How are you doing tonight?". I thought it was the cook. Sure looked like him in the darkness, Thinking it was a rather ridiculous question I didn't even stop but continued trudging to my tent and said over my shoulder in a weary glum voice "Fine, why'd ya ask?". Getting no reply I hit my tent like a ton of bricks and slept like the deadman I felt like as the mission was now over and we could return to regular training. The next morning in the chowline our colonel came up to me and said "You are one lucky son-of-a-***** that General Dempsey has a sense of humor! He thought you were hilarious last night." I was still waking up and probably looked as confused as I was. The colonel told me that it was the general in the bushes - not the cook.

I heard this one from one of my cannon cocker buddies.

Back in the 80's Marine Artillery was all about getting away from the tried and true radio method of calls for fire. They wanted to get into the computer age as it were. The whole FO typing in his mission, FDC then typing it to the Gun Line and the Guns setting their Elevation and deflection and charge off info provided by the Gun Directional Unit -GDU.

My buddy happened to have the honor of being assigned as powder monkey to one of the M198 crews conducting live fire tests of the system.

After two days of rather lackluster firemissions the dog and pony show came into their position late in the afternoon. Headed by the Deputy Division Commander a Two Star and the Regimental CO of 11th Marines.
Along with assorted dog robbers and feather merchants.

My buddy's section chief was a Sergeant who had a reputation of speaking his mind and letting the chips fall where they may. Seems that the Sgt. fed up with multi round adjustment missions had had all he could take of new technology.
The entourage hit the gun position while they were in the middle of PMing the howitzer. And the DDCG asked in a cheery voice. " How's the new gear working out?"

Without turning around the Sergeant answered. "Well I figured out what GDU stands for."

" Whats that?" The DDCG asked

" God D*mn Useless." The Sergeant answered

According to 11th Marine Legend the battery CO , Regimental CO and the Gun Plt PC all had strokes while the DDCG chuckled and moved on.

The Sergeant in question is currently a Master Gunnery Sergeant. And my Buddy is Currently a Gunnery Sergeant deployed in the SWA. wHO'D A THUNK IT :lol:

Back