I finally got my Mosin Nagant!

Kilgore

Just last weekend i finally got my permit delivered by the police (Took them 6 bloody weeks). Of course i went to pick it up ASAP and at first it looked quite dirty. Cleaning it took basically two days, but the worst part was the barrel. All of this Dark green substance came out of the barrel, obviously from corrosion. I had to clean the barrel about 3 times for all of the green stuff to be completely removed. The next day, my mate and i went to a rifle range to test it out. All i can say is that this rifle has some powerful recoil and it was the loudest rifle in the range. What could you expect from a rifle with a 20 inch long barrel that shoots 7.62's? It was very accurate when placed on a bag with a recoil pad on its buttstock, but without them... Accuracy was not as good. The recoil makes things harder, especially when it hurts your shoulder as well as having the buttstock at times hitting your nose if you don't hold it tight enough. Overall im satisfied with it, just its hard finding 7.62x54R bullets in Australia.

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

Cheers!

I could imagine the Mauser being extremely powerful, as well. 8mm bullets pack a hell of a punch. I tell you one thing, WW2 rifles weren't exactly user friendly. Makes you wonder how those soldiers back then handled these monsters.

A friend of mine currently owns a Lee Enfield rifle. It is heavier and more chunky than other rifles, but i have seen it in the range and it is very effective. There is less recoil, but only by small amount compared to other WW2 rifles with larger calibres.

If you really want one, it isn't hard to collect them in Australia. You're likely to find them in most gun stores and you'll surely never will have trouble finding ammunition for it.

I think i pronounce the words wrong but everyone understands which rifle im talking about when i say it anyway.

M1 garand would be nice but in Australia, semi automatics can not be held for private use unless for a good reason, like.... hunting as a main source of income.

Kilgore: Very Nice!

Is that an M-38? An interesting fact, the M-38 is essentially just a 91/30 with a shortened barrel. In fact, the barrel is so short compared to the 91/30 that you can see an ENORMOUS flash as the explosion (and bullet)leaves the end of the barrel. (Easiest to see in the evening, when it gets a bit darker outside) This is part of the reason why the M-38 and M-44's have such a loud, deep BOOM instead of a more higher pitched CRACK!

Next time you clean your new toy, you may want to run some ammonia down the barrel. Ammonia is a base that will help neutralize any acid that may be left in the barrel from corrosive primers. What I do is run a couple of patches through soaked with Windex (A window cleaner containing ammonia), and then proceed to clean the barrel normally.

Hats off to your new beauty!

Yeah, Mosins are nice, well done mate.

I myself wouldn't mind having an M1 Carbine, it's a nice elegant little semi-auto. I'll never be allowed to have one though because i'll never have a genuine reason for wanting one. Thus the government won't give me a Class D licence.

Rich.

Mike said:
Kilgore: Very Nice!

Is that an M-38? An interesting fact, the M-38 is essentially just a 91/30 with a shortened barrel. In fact, the barrel is so short compared to the 91/30 that you can see an ENORMOUS flash as the explosion (and bullet)leaves the end of the barrel. (Easiest to see in the evening, when it gets a bit darker outside) This is part of the reason why the M-38 and M-44's have such a loud, deep BOOM instead of a more higher pitched CRACK!

Next time you clean your new toy, you may want to run some ammonia down the barrel. Ammonia is a base that will help neutralize any acid that may be left in the barrel from corrosive primers. What I do is run a couple of patches through soaked with Windex (A window cleaner containing ammonia), and then proceed to clean the barrel normally.

Hats off to your new beauty!

I've got an M44 and I agree with your comments about the noise and muzzle blast. It's a handful, but great fun to shoot and a real attention getter at the range the first time you fire it. ;)

My shoulder usually stops aching within a couple of days after putting 30 or 40 rounds through it. :lol:

Kilgore said:
Just last weekend i finally got my permit delivered by the police (Took them 6 bloody weeks). Of course i went to pick it up ASAP and at first it looked quite dirty. Cleaning it took basically two days, but the worst part was the barrel. All of this Dark green substance came out of the barrel, obviously from corrosion. I had to clean the barrel about 3 times for all of the green stuff to be completely removed. The next day, my mate and i went to a rifle range to test it out. All i can say is that this rifle has some powerful recoil and it was the loudest rifle in the range. What could you expect from a rifle with a 20 inch long barrel that shoots 7.62's? It was very accurate when placed on a bag with a recoil pad on its buttstock, but without them... Accuracy was not as good. The recoil makes things harder, especially when it hurts your shoulder as well as having the buttstock at times hitting your nose if you don't hold it tight enough. Overall im satisfied with it, just its hard finding 7.62x54R bullets in Australia.

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

Oh, man, what a nice russian rifle!!!! I'd love to have it.

Kilgore

Hoppies and Sweets 7.62 are what I use to clean my chrome molly barrels. Hoppies for the powder fouling and the tar residue left by the sealant on the neck of mil spec ammo. Whilst "Sweets 7.62" to remove copper left by the projectile. Do not leave Sweets in the barrel for an extended period of time as the ammonia will have a detrimental effect.

With newer service rifles that have a chrome plated bore do not use any ammonia based solvent as if there are any marks in the chrome the sweets will attack the copper under the chrome and you will have the chrome plate flaking off in the bore.

Depending how many rnds you have had through your barrel you may find that your rifle shoots better dirty. Balance this advice with the knowledge that some ammo comes with corrosive primers. In which case HOT water will lift and remove the adverse salts.

New chrome plated bores take between 300 -600 rnds to settle down before they will group at their best.

6weeks for your permit is not that bad, a bloke who's trying to buy one of my target rifles has had his application in for 7months.

If your after a Lee Enfield have a look at the Australian International Arms No4 Mk5 built on the M10 action. Basically it is a re manufactured version of the Lee Enfield No4 chambered in 308w and made out of better grade steel.

cheers

I was looking around a gun store close to where I work and they had 4 Mosin 1891/30, two or three Arisakas, and about 5 Lee Enfields. I checked all of them and picked a Mosin. It was $139.00. As I went to pay and fill out the ATF form and wait for an okay, 10 minute phone call, the clerk started loading the box with a brand new bayonet, sling in good condition, and two ammo and tool pouches with new tools. I was a little surprised that all that came with it because they had it in the back room in an armory case.

I bought a 20 round box of soft nose cartridges for the range for $8.95. Everything is in great condition for it's age. Now for the question, actually two. Is the newly manufactured ammo corrosive now? And has anyone had any experience with using LER scopes on rifles? I've shot big bore pistols with them and had good results with accuracy. It is much cheaper to mount a kit designed to replace the rear sight so no damage is done by drilling the receiver and it can be put back in original condition.

Is the newly manufactured ammo corrosive now?

If it is from the big name manufactures in the US no. Otherwise it depends where you get it from and who made it. I got some surplus ammo from the middle east for my 303 that was made within 5 years of purchase and I was given the option of corrosive ammo from country X and non corrosive from country Y.

A good gun shop will know what is what....

Back