FIFA World Cup anyone? - Page 28




 
--
 
July 11th, 2006  
Italian Guy
 
 
Accepting defeat is sometimes hard, I know, but keeping suffering is not good to your health
Life goes on, take it easy.
We didn't headbutt anyone nor did we bribe the referee. We won the World Cup, period.
July 11th, 2006  
Rob Henderson
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Garchy
1. We will never know. You sound like Italy (scoring in the last minute of overtime and then again with all Germans storming for a hail mary) totally overplayed Germany. That is the attitude that irks me. Italy's game against France was also not a given. France, while I did not like the team, outplayed Italy for most of the match. The Zidane affair killed their chances by demoralizing the entire squad. And, in any case, one penalty missing by two cm hardly indicates Italian superiority. No game was a given. All opponents had opportunities. Fortune smiled at times. At other times it did not.
Weeelll, the fact is, Italy won. I agree. France outplayed them, but due to unfortunate circumstances...They didnt get it. Ill tell you like my dad tells me...Fortune and luck are when opportunity meets preparation. France was prepared 4 times, and Italy was prepared 6 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Garchy
2. Point finished.

3. I never glorified Zidane...never liked him or the French style.
Do you agree with the punishment? Oh wait, there wasn't one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Garchy
4. I listed three examples. Should I have listed 32? As far as "everyone diving" is concerned...that is an easy thing to say. It is certainly not true, however. One team diving once or twice is not the same as another team diving 50 times in one game. This issue is about frequency. Italian players, by the way, dive all over the pitch and not just near the goal. Watch the games very carefully. You will see what I mean. They dive as much to disrupt play as to gain a concrete advantage. It is a tactic...and it is a horrible one in my book. If you like it, ok. Then this point is finished too.
My point is, they don't have to have these things to be considered good. Brazilians talent was nonexistent save Ronaldo. The Great Ronaldinho was no where near the hype.

Diving. Everyone dives. I can show you countless games where men dive because they are tired. 50 times in a game...Exaggerated, but I see your point.Cmon man. Everyone dives. Thats all I can say. The Italians are no different than anyone else. I dont like it at all, but as long as everyone does it, there is no way you or I can say "Those Italians are horrible divers, they are dirty." Ya know what? The Germans dive too. So do the Americans. And the French. And EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THE WORLD CUP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Garchy
Last point: Portugal was an insider's tip. They did make it to the EC final. They were a favourite and have been for years. No "overwhelming odds" here. I honestly picked Argentina or England as favourites. Why not Italy? I cannot stand their football style. Never will. I was hoping throughout that they would get wacked...Australia almost did it...but typical Italian cheating changed that outcome. COME ON, dude, do you really like a team that wins by bleeding the opponent or by diving. If you do, why not watch the Olympics...boxing, wrestling and diving. I want to see football. Other teams gave me this pleasure. Many did not.
Mk...Portugal vs. Brazil. Who would you pick? Italian cheating...SORE LOSER. Just like IG said. Just because Germany didnt win it doesnt mean you have to call a nation cheaters.
July 12th, 2006  
Ollie Garchy
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1Lt Henderson
Mk...Portugal vs. Brazil. Who would you pick? Italian cheating...SORE LOSER. Just like IG said. Just because Germany didnt win it doesnt mean you have to call a nation cheaters.
I love talking football, but let's stop the discussion on Italy. You like them. I cannot stand them. I would have been willing to overlook my disgust, however. If Italians had only said something like the following, I never would have been royally pissed: "we won the World Cup. We played many good teams. Our hard work paid off. And, fortune helped us on the way". But no. The Italians have to start patting themselves on the back and start ranting about how they deserved to win every game because of their superior abilities. From their perspective, every game was a given and that is just crap. I am not a sore loser. Italians were sore winners. [Look, I originally thought Germany would only make it to the quarters...they surpassed my expectations.]

An example from my perspective. Germany played a great game against Argentina. Germany won. I still recognize that Argentina was unfortunate and acknowledge the skills of the South Americans. I love their tough football and excellent teamwork. Overtime and penalties always reduce a game to luck...even if the Germans have only lost penalties on one occasion. This was the attitude of the German press. [If this is a cultural problem, ie. Northern European understatement against Southern European exaggeration, then we have an answer.]

Brazil vs. Portugal? Tough call. Based on Brazil's poor showing, I would have to say Portugal. But Brazil will return to the style of football that makes for great viewing...and many victories. Portugal, in my opinion, is on the out. Unlike Brazil, they don't seem to have millions of highly skilled young players to flesh out a new team. Ronaldo, while a diver, is an example of what Portugal could become provided a large enough reinforcement base. I am just unfamiliar with the current state of Portugal's youth program.

Look, I watched all the games at a PORTUGUESE bar here in Berlin -- a bar that had to change owners, unfortunately. Spanish fans and Italians came as well, not to mention some English fans and others. The only people who pissed me off were the Italians. They rubbed in every victory and stated right from the start that they were by far the best team. The Portuguese were nervous, hopeful, and always polite. So were the Spanish. Everyone...except for the Italians. Must be a cultural thing.

http://www.aventura-berlin.de/
--
July 12th, 2006  
Rob Henderson
 
 
But would you not have done the same thing if you or any other country had just beaten 31 other of the best teams in the world??

The Italians were right weren't they? They did have the best team. I don't know about by far, but they won...
July 12th, 2006  
Ollie Garchy
 
 
Dude, that was well before the final...as in the first round. My "agro" really got going after the Austrialia game, but the US game did it for me prior to that. The Aussies had my sympathy. So did the bleeding Americans.
July 12th, 2006  
Rob Henderson
 
 
Yea. I must admit, the Austrailian game was a big thing. But that isnt all the Italian dive...That is the officials part too. If the officials in this World Cup had been half way competent, he would have recognized the dive and not called it. The American foul was as blatant as the headbutt...But its like I said, the Italians were just having some fun and pride.I do the same thing with American Football...When the Falcons season starts, Im saying things like,"We're headin to the Super Bowl this year." and "Aint nobody good enough to stop the Falcons this year." among other things. Its all in sport...And when we beat a rival team, we gloat. Just as they do with us when they beat us. All in good fun, mate.
July 13th, 2006  
Ollie Garchy
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1Lt Henderson
Yea. I must admit, the Austrailian game was a big thing. But that isnt all the Italian dive...That is the officials part too. If the officials in this World Cup had been half way competent, he would have recognized the dive and not called it. The American foul was as blatant as the headbutt...But its like I said, the Italians were just having some fun and pride.I do the same thing with American Football...When the Falcons season starts, Im saying things like,"We're headin to the Super Bowl this year." and "Aint nobody good enough to stop the Falcons this year." among other things. Its all in sport...And when we beat a rival team, we gloat. Just as they do with us when they beat us. All in good fun, mate.
I can accept that point of view about the Italian fans and FIFA officials. Damn, the officials made quite a few blunders...although we might be noticing this problem only because the camera work keeps getting better and better.

1. WC 2010 might be in the United States...or even Germany. The South
Africans are way behind in planning...not just building. FIFA is already looking for alternative countries who are able to host the cup.

2. Have you seen the new ranking by FIFA? Personally, I dislike the system for only one reason: wc hosts do not play any qualification matches, lose points, and therefore fall down the list. A WC game counts as 4 points and a friendly as 1...or is it a factor...whatever. Since only the last four years count, Germany's rank is a little low if we consider that Germany reached WC final in 2002, bombed out of the EC, but was third in 2006. I find Portugal a little low, too...considering two WC performances and the EC. Why is England fifth...ie. higher than Portugal? Strange. And, is Brazil just glued to the number one position?
July 13th, 2006  
Rob Henderson
 
 
Brazil...I dont know what Brazil's deal is...Even after losing they are still number one?! Thats not right.
July 15th, 2006  
WarMachine
 
 
Maybe the physicists who make these rankings use quantem mechanics that to us laymen would resemble nothing more than scratches on a board when in reality they hold the keys to the universe, and FIFA rankings.
July 15th, 2006  
Damien435
 
 
Call me nuts, but I don't think the US deserves to be ranked in the top 16. Tell me, what is the name of the round following group play? Round of 16. The 16 best nations in the world, they did their part and every nation that is there had to work hard to get there. (Although I still say Onyewu was penalized simply for being a foot taller than the other player.) The teams in the Round of 16 should be the 16 top ranked teams in the world, plain and simple. As for Brazil, look at it this way, in the history of the WC they have proven themselves to be the best country in the world. They have the most WC titles and one loss doesn't mean they should have to drop from the top spot. Look at Tiger Woods, he stayed at the top of the world golfing rankings for almost a complete year despite Mickleson and Singh getting more wins during that time period, why? Because Woods was consistant. Just because he wasn't racking up the wins like he used to doesn't mean he is suddently terrible. He has won the most money over the last decade and he leads the world in top 10's, top 5's and top 3's over the same period. You don't have to always win to be the best, you just need to constantly keep yourself in contention so that when the opportunity arises you can grab it.
 


Similar Topics
China plans to invade US!
Stars gather for World Cup draw [soccer]
At last!!! Aussies through to world cup!!!
Iraq---The Crossroad Of Destiny
Who will help me frist?