A few questions about the Marines - Page 4

--

September 19th, 2005  
FULLMETALJACKET

you mentioned, "war games." what kind of scenarios do they put you in and what all is involved?
September 19th, 2005  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Your gettin into touchy and iffy scenerios here. A PFC outranks a Private and in theory can give a Private Orders. However a PFC will rarely ever be in a postion to exert authority over Privates unless under the supervision of a Lcpl or an NCO and then it will take the form of a training evalution generally.

All enlisted Marines must follow all lawful orders from all commissioned officers (this includes Warrant Officers) of the United States Armed Forces and Allied Nations. Regardless of whether you are a Private or a Master Gunnery Sergeant.
Does that mean the officer can tell me to do whatever he/she wants like go get him a beer or anything

That falls under personal servitude.

Here is an example:

You offer to go to the store since you are going there anyway. The Captain gives you some cash to get him a pack of smokes. Not personal servitude.
While you are sitting there working, the Captain comes up and says "soandso go to the store and buy me a pack of smokes." That would be considered personal servitude.

Those are "barney style" (simple) explanations. It can get more complex or be a bit more obscure but the principle is the same.

I know that when I went to the store for my morning coffee, if I didn't ask my MSgt if he wanted anything, then he generally gave me a hard time about it. All in fun of course but he would never and did never ask me to go to the store for him unless I was already going. He would however drop hints every now and then. My favorites were: "So when ya goin to the store?". or "A sandwich sure would go good about now eh Rhodes?"

Quote:
FutureDevilDog wrote:
Say you are a PFC are you allowed to boss around a regular private
And say you are like a seargent major or some other high enlisted rank, can any officer regardless of the officers rank boss tell you what to do

More often than not that private is a private for a reason. Either he/she has been in trouble or he/she is right out of bootcamp. If you are a PFC trying to "boss" a private around then you need to go back and review your leadership traits. It is true that a PFC does outrank a private but unless you are in some hard core unit it is unlikely that you will be placed in charge of anyone. It is kind of rare for a working party of non-NCOs to be unsupervised by an NCO SNCO or Officer.

Mod Edit: Posts merged. Do not post back to back.
September 23rd, 2005  
FULLMETALJACKET

i want to also join the Marines, i was wondering if someone that has actually gonme through the marine basic can pm on the details, im reading lots of books but i would like a first hand story.
--
September 23rd, 2005  
03USMC

Do a search there are plenty of threads with info on recruit training.
September 24th, 2005  
SMPRfidlis

how old are you future? im 16 and i think i may be in your boat if not in the one next to it .