Favorite Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
almost certain we have done this before.

Either way Id say Mirage III #1
#2 is a tie between P-51 and Spitfire.

We have, though I can't find the link.
ov10.jpg

Time lines

I have put in time lines
F4U Corsair
P-47
P-51D
FW-190

F-86

A-4
F-5
F-111
F-15 all models
F-20 big favorite
Rafale - even know it's French
icon10.gif
I just like this aircraft
F-22

Sorry for the list it's just to hard for me to pick and even left out a bunch.

World War 2 Era:
USA:
P-51D Mustang
P-38 Lightning
F4U Corsair
P-47 Thunderbolt
B-17 Fortress
Germany
BF-109
FW-190
Britain
Spitfire
Hurricane
Lancaster

Vietnam War Era :
USA
F4 Phantom
A-1 Skyraider

Present time:
USA
F-16 Falcon
F/A-18 Superhornet
F-14 Tomcat
AC-130 Spectre
F-22 Raptor
F-15 Strike Eagle
A-10 Warthog

I just can't pick one.

WW2
DH Mosquito
Swordfish torpedo bomber

Cold War era
English Electric Lightening
English Electric Canberra
Vulcan

I agree with Fox, how do you pick one when there are so many outstanding choices????

Close Air Support: A10, F15E, AC-130, A6, A7, AV8, A1E, P47 or any plane providing help when I and my unit need it.

Transports: C130, C17 (best ride in the sky in my book :)), C5, C121, C47 and C54 (The Berlin Airlift Queen).

Bombers: B2, B1, B52, B29, Vulcan (coolest looking bomber of all time?)

EW, Intel and Specialty: EA6, F111, PC-3, AE-3, E3 Sentry, E8C JSTARS, EC-130H Compass Call, U2, SR71 and CV22 Osprey (the only tilt rotor aircraft to ever make this trick work after 50+ years of trying), KC135 and KC10.

Fighters/Multi Role: F15, F16, F4, Tornado, P51, Spitfire, Hurricane, P38

Yes I am biased in favor of US aircraft, as that is what I have the most experience with.

Is this just fixed wing or can we nominate rotary wing too? I would have to include UH1, UH60, CH47, AH1 and AH64 in that case.:m1:

Really? Germany just got rid of it, though i experienced some while i was stationed in my Btl 2005- very loud and smoky...

Yeap. I know it's almost totally obsolete in A2A missions, but I think it's the best looking combat aircraft ever built. Very bold lines, and as you said it's laud and strong.

It's still in use with TuAF. An IAI/TAI upgraded variant (F-4-2020 Terminator) was modernized with fully digital cockpit, renewed avionics, cabling, flight computer and optimized for A2G missions; capable of launching precision attack weapons like the Popeye and JSOW-C as well as traditional missiles like HARM, Maverick, Paveway, etc.

popeye.jpg

Really? Germany just got rid of it, though i experienced some while i was stationed in my Btl 2005- very loud and smoky...

I was on an English Electric Lightning station with 24 hour flying. One day there was a scramble to intercept Soviet Bear aircrafy approaching UK airspace, a flight took off, wheels up turned on reheat and climbed like Saturn 5's. The noise was something you had to experience.

The C130 is without a doubt an amazing aeroplane, the work horse of airforces around the world. However, I flew from Malta to Cyprus on one, and was never more happy to get my feet back on the ground, too noisy.

The C47, was another amazing aeroplane, some are still in service with the South African Airforce.

The Hawker Hurricane was the poor relation during the Battle of Britain. Despite shooting down 2/3rds of German aircraft, captured German crews always claimed they were shot down by Spitfires. Hurricane pilots called it "Spitfire snobbery." The Hurricane was a very tough and dependable aeroplane, one version the "Tank Buster" had 40mm guns fitted and proved to be effective against German armour in North Africa.

F-4 was a workhorse. A very usefull plane. But In my opinion a very ugly one:) It was described by a Mirage pilot as "A big closet full of weapons with two big engines on it".

So many Aircraft Difficukt to pick, i'll do 1 by era

WWI: Fokker DRVII
WWII: P-51D
Korea: Mig-15
Vietnam: F4 Phantom
Generation 4: F-16
Generation 5: To be decided...

Why 50 cals instead of cannon?

One thing that has puzzled me for years, why wasn't the F86 or indeed the P51 fitted with cannon instead of 50 cal's, while later versions of the F-86H carried four 20 mm cannons instead of machine guns? Any idea's?

Last edited:
F-4 was a workhorse. A very usefull plane. But In my opinion a very ugly one:) It was described by a Mirage pilot as "A big closet full of weapons with two big engines on it".
Ugly? Are you serious Sherman?

It's in my Top 5 Best Looking Combat Aircraft list.

1. Raptor
2. Fulcrum
3. Phantom
4. Rafael
5. Tornado

:smil:

Tornade and Phantom but no Tomcat... weird- seems we have a different taste for aircrafts ;)

Tomcat just looks 'fat' and 'soft' to me. Tornado's in shape and Phantom is like a body builder. :) Plus, I'm not a big fan of variable sweep wing aircraft. I'm like, make up your mind dammit, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back