F-15 crashes off Oregon coast - Page 2

--

June 28th, 2007  
bulldogg

RIP and blue skies.
June 28th, 2007  
Guardsman_Ca

Blast it all !!! I was hoping that he would be found alive..
RIP Maj. Young
June 28th, 2007  
phoenix80

This is sad news.

sorry to hear that
--
June 28th, 2007  
The Other Guy

What happened?
June 28th, 2007  
rock45

Topic: Not released

Nothing released that I could find it's just very sad.
June 29th, 2007  
rock45

Topic: Official Statements Regarding F-15 Crash

Official Statements Regarding F-15 Crash
Comments provided by Col Steven D. Gregg, 142nd Fighter Wing Commander:
Good Morning,
As you know, the 142d Fighter Wing lost of one of our finest yesterday in an F-15 jet fighter mishap over the Pacific Ocean.
It is with my deepest regret that I must announce the loss of Maj. Gregory D. Young, 34, from St Helens, Ore., a highly respected officer, gifted pilot, father, and friend. We ask that your thoughts and prayers be with him and his family. We request that the public respect the family's desire for privacy during their time of grief.
The U.S. Coast Guard located Maj. Young's remains at approximately 6:10 p.m. yesterday evening in the aircraft debris field located approximately 35 miles west of Cannon Beach. At the request of Maj. Young's family, we delayed our public announcement until this morning to give his family time to notify friends and loved ones in an appropriate manner.
Our search has transitioned to a recovery operation. We are working with the U.S. Navy to determine the feasibility of recovering as much of the wreckage as possible. It is my understanding that the ocean is approximately 700-1700 feet deep at the mishap location. As has been reported, the aircraft was destroyed on impact. While the U.S. Coast Guard is on site participating in the recovery, there is the possibly that pieces of the wreckage may was ashore in the coming weeks. I ask the public that if any parts of the aircraft are discovered to please call local authorities immediately and refrain from touching them. Parts of the F-15 are constructed of carbon fiber and can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is critical that we secure as much of the wreckage as possible to assist the Air Force Safety Investigation.
We would like to highlight the inter-agency cooperation and professionalism of everyone involved in yesterday's search operation. We were able to bring every asset at our countries disposal to bear in our search for Maj. Young. I would especially like to thank the US Coast Guard for their timely response. It is my understanding that their rescue helicopters arrived at the scene of the mishap in less than 30 minutes.
My heartfelt condolences go out to Maj. Young's family for this tragic loss. He was one of our finest - a very talented young man with many years of dedicated service to our country, protection of the freedoms we enjoy today. The 142nd Fighter Wing and the Oregon Air National Guard will deeply miss him.
A memorial service will be planned, but no date has been set.
Comments provided by Brig. Gen Daniel B. O'Hollaren, Commander of the Oregon Air National Guard:
Good Morning,
Yesterday, the Air National Guard lost a member of their family and the State of Oregon and the nation lost a true patriot. Maj. Young died what he was passionate about - flying and defending freedom
President John Adams once said, "Freedom is a wonderful thing...as long as you have the courage to defend it." Maj. Young displayed that courage everyday he put on the uniform of his country. Yesterday was no exception. You and I go about out daily lives because men like Maj. Young are present on the front lines and are vigilant.
The pilots that fly these jets, the men and women who meticulously maintain them and all of the support team behind the scenes, are the absolute best America has to offer. They are trained to do their job and they are superb in what they do.
But we must never forget this is a dangerous business. The nature of flying combat fighter aircraft is one that implies operating on a razor's edge because the 142nd Fighter Wing has preformed so magnificently for so long in all arenas, we may be lulled into a sense that all of this is routine and mundane. Yesterday's event confirms that it is not.
We will investigate every aspect of this flight, leave no unanswered question on the table and most importantly, learn from it. Concern for the family and safety of our operation is and continues to be our primary focus.
Please remember the family in your thoughts and prayers and respect their wish for privacy at this most difficult time.

http://www.koin.com/Global/story.asp?S=6718494
July 6th, 2007  
rock45

Topic: Pilot had less then 2 seconds ro react

F-15 pilot had less than 2 seconds to react before crash

09:13 AM PDT on Thursday, June 28, 2007

By kgw.com and AP staff Investigators believe the F-15 pilot who crashed off the Oregon Coast was flying so low he would have had less than two seconds to react to any problem that may have led to the crash.

kgw.com photo
Maj. Gregory Young as shown in a photo from the Oregon National Guard.

KGW has learned that during the dog fight simulation, Maj. Gregory D. Young was near the bottom of the altitude limits for the drill -- 1,000 feet -- when he crashed without warning.

Flying at about 500 miles per hour, he apparently did not have time to eject.

During a somber news conference, National Guard officials Wednesday described Young as a caring and talented pilot and father who risked his life to defend the freedom Americans enjoy.

The Coast Guard found Young's body Tuesday.

MORE: Crash details, body found
Young, 34, lived in St. Helens, Ore.
BIO: More about Maj. Young
His superiors said he was a brave man who loved his job and was one of the best fighter jet pilots in America.
VIDEO: Loss of gifted pilot
"On behalf of the 142nd Fighter Wing. the Portland Air Base, and the Oregon Air National Guard, I offer my heartfelt condolences to the family of our fallen Airman. He was a very talented young man with many years of dedicated service to the protection of the freedoms we enjoy today," Col. Steven D. Gregg, Commanding Officer of the 142nd Fighter Wing said Wednesday. "He will be deeply missed by our entire Air National Guard family."

Even for the best pilots in the world, the job is always a dangerous one, Brigadier General Dan O'Hollaren emphasized during the news conference. He said flying a combat fighter aircraft requires operating on a "razor's edge."

"You and I go about our daily lives because airmen like Major Young are present on the front lines and are vigilant," O'Hollaren added.
MORE: Brigadier General: America is free thanks to pilots like Young
A memorial service will be planned for Young, who was married with children, but no date has been set.

“He was a great person... he had a great demeanor... he had a wonderful sense of humor...” said Air Guard spokeswoman Maj. Misti Mazzia, fighting back tears.

var jsVideoWidgetSize = 1; var jsVideoWidgetVideoId = 154572;

RAW Video: Coast Guard helicopter flies over F-15 crash scene

Skies were mostly clear with some high clouds when the accident occurred about 1:35 p.m. Tuesday.
More: Air Guard Wednesday 9 a.m. press statement
More: Air Guard Tuesday 4 p.m. press statement
View: Google Map of Location
An Air Guard spokesperson said the pilots are equipped with survival gear, including flairs and a floatation device.
The water temperature at the time of the crash was 58 degrees.
DETAILS: More about the dogfight simulation
Video: Press conference on search
Many Air Guard pilots are also commercial pilots and generally have more hours in the air than active military pilots, Mazzia said.
In July 2004, The two San Diego-based Marine reservists were killed when their FA/18 Hornet collided with another jet over the Columbia River during a routine training exercise.
More: History of 142nd Fighter Wing
Video: F-15's in action (RAW)

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....190b2b32.html
July 8th, 2007  
The Other Guy

awman. what a shame.