F-15 Break-Up Animation Released

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
CNN
January 9, 2008 By Jamie McIntyre
The Situation Room (CNN), 5:00 PM
BLITZER: We're just now getting in some exclusive Pentagon animation showing the break-up of an F-15 fighter jet that prompted the U.S. Air Force to ground its entire fleet.
Let's go to our senior Pentagon correspondent, Jamie McIntyre.
He's watching this story for us.
What are we learning from this exclusive animation -- Jamie.
JAMIE MCINTYRE, CNN SENIOR PENTAGON CORRESPONDENT: Well, Wolf, as you recall, this was the accident back in November that resulted in the grounding of the entire fleet of older F-15s. And CNN has obtained exclusively the official U.S. Air Force investigation's recreation of what happened that day.
Major Stephen Stillwell, a Missouri Air Guard pilot, was flying his F-15, attempting an 8G turn at 500 miles an hour when there was a major structural failure in something called the longeron. And, as you can see, the plane literally broke in half.
His wing men radioed him, urging him to eject while there was still time.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Eject. Eject. Eject. Knock it off. Knock it off.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: MIG 3, copy. Knock it off.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: MIG 3, knock it off.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: 34, safe enough. Climb high.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
MCINTYRE: Now Major Stillwell -- even though his plane broke apart around him -- was able to get out. He did recover. He did smash his shoulder in the accident and is still recovering from that.
Meanwhile, the Air Force has now inspected all of the planes and announced just today that 60 percent of the older fleet -- about 280 planes -- will be returned to service. They say they are absolutely confident that what happened to this plane won't happen to those. But there's still 40 percent of the fleet that have some suspect problems that are keeping them on the ground -- Wolf.
BLITZER: That pilot is oh so lucky to be alive, Jamie.
What an amazing animation. Very, very dramatic stuff.
All right, thank God he's OK.
Jamie McIntyre at the Pentagon for us.

Instead of Raptors they should be looking either buying more F-15 or The Super Bug since its cheaper than a Raptor, F-4 was a navy plane but was taken in by AF wasn't it?

Old F-4

Phantom's were used by US Navy, US Air Force, and US Marines, one of the few types that were used across the board very rare. Which branch used them first US Navy or US Air Force, I don't know. I keep thinking it was the US Navy for a carrier or fleet defense fighter but somebody correct me.

I think Japan wants something a little better then the current F-15. It's not that's there bad it's just China's Flankers and soon some form of J-10 will to too much in the same class there's no clear edge in combat. Which in combat you rather go in with a clear edge a edge that a F-22 would give. The Typhoon would help but adding the up front cost for aircraft then the new maintenance & training operational cost buying a new type, more F-15s are the route to go. I still think Boeing should come up with some in between F-16 & F-15 in weight and size fighter. Something a clear step better then a F-15C built to deal with Su-30 Flankers like Typhoons from the get go, but I know that won't happen. Not everybody can buy F-35s, car makers don't just sell one or two kinds of cars why can't Boeing keep a chunk of the 4th generation market.

Tomcat vs modern Flankers - With upgrades and AIM-120 yes Tomcat's could play, and with the US Navy's good training and AWACS do well and hold it's own. There are best used at mid to long range and would get chop up inside and close, sadly. The AIM-54 to me was never really combat test on a large scale and you guys always say combat proven is the best. It was use some and a few test but really against modern fighters I can't see it being effective so that takes away it's best weapon. If the AIM-120 Slammers are only this good now think about it how could a design 20 years older be effective against modern fighter? In close isn't what it was designed for and wouldn't do well. To me it's a classic cold war fleet defender made mainly to shoot down mid size or large bombers moving into position to launch large anti-ship missiles at long ranges. The high maintenance and operational cost ended this great aircraft usefulness. To me the US Navy should have come up with a fleet fighter/interceptor but didn't. All purpose mid size was there choice not big full size types only Flankers are larger. Look at my Flanker Fulcrum picture it's about the same, like night in day almost. I'll tell you I had the honor of seeing one at a air show and man for a big fighter it can move and turn better then you think it could.

At that show I pitch F-14/15/16 and F/A-18 pilots against each just to see which was the best and the F-14 pilot bash the F-15 pilot and the entire US Air Force to shame said his plane could shoot down any fighter here today. It was fun but after talking to all of them I see putting on helmets must be difficult for them. I had a great time and what bunch of friendly guys overall I asked them a billion questions. I got to mix in the old with the new and saw a P-51 and B-17 fly too, a good day.

Back