F-14 Tomcat made its final public appearance - Page 2

--

October 3rd, 2005  
USAFAUX2004

iIt will live on forever in games like Ace Combat 5!
October 3rd, 2005  
Whispering Death

Iranian F-14s don't get into the skies. They haven't had American-trained mechanics since 1979 and they haven't had parts since the mid-1980s. Sabotoge has also reportedly been inflicted on the Iranian F-14s. They don't get into the skies because when things break they don't have the new parts to replace it with. Without parts or skilled maintanaince there's no way to get those things in the air. Your own book source said that they could only get 10-30 flying during the Iran-Iraq war with Iran-Contra helping them... 20 years later and on the 'Axis of Evil' list? No F*ing way.

The Iranian F-14s don't fly.
October 3rd, 2005  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Iranian F-14s don't get into the skies. They haven't had American-trained mechanics since 1979 and they haven't had parts since the mid-1980s. Sabotoge has also reportedly been inflicted on the Iranian F-14s. They don't get into the skies because when things break they don't have the new parts to replace it with. Without parts or skilled maintanaince there's no way to get those things in the air. Your own book source said that they could only get 10-30 flying during the Iran-Iraq war with Iran-Contra helping them... 20 years later and on the 'Axis of Evil' list? No F*ing way.

The Iranian F-14s don't fly.
I disagree and again recommend you to read those articles.

Btw, Iran has 44 air worthy/combat ready F-14s ( out of 78 )

I have served with maintenance unit of Iranian air force and they are capable of handling their jets

--
October 4th, 2005  
DblGonzo

I spent 4 years in an F14 squadron. 1979-1983 VF143. The world famous Pukin Dogs. I find it hard to believe most of the claims in the book. The F14 never returned from a flight with out some type of problem. Most were minor, but without a steady supply of spares the jet will soon be beyond repair.

But we sold them 78 and they could also buy parts from salvage yards in the US and have them shipped around until they found there way to Iran.

They flew 25 of them not long ago. But I doubt if any phoenix missiles are still able to be used, if they have any left.

To me it was the most beautiful jet in the air. But it was a ***** to service.
October 4th, 2005  
phoenix80

Quote:
To me it was the most beautiful jet in the air. But it was a b**ch to service.
I have heard about numerous mechanical failures from Brakes to Engines and radar!
October 4th, 2005  
warhappy100

Russian Air and Naval pilots are smiling now that Cat is retired
its was one they feared most more then Eagle they know the Super Bug
is easy kill. But it hurts to see it go away VP Cheney had no brains when
canceled the F-14D and its potential upgrades.
October 4th, 2005  
phoenix80

October 17th, 2005  
ruger322003

Topic: Tomcat

i love that plane RIP F-14 Tomcat
October 21st, 2005  
sandy

Tomcat is one of the most beautiful plane.
I have watched them in Yokosuka.

F-14FAEW

Sorry!This is just joking.
October 21st, 2005  
bigcanada813

It's a shame to hear that one of the worlds best long range interceptors is being retired. The B-52 has been flying longer than the Tomcats. Oh well. Rest In Peace F-14, we hardly knew ye.