Enlistment waivers. Does my situation have a chance or not?

Hello. I have a rare situation and I'm wondering if anyone may help shed some light on it. I have been contacting every military personel that I can think of or have had means to, from the CO of each station, to the Captain of the MCRD in San Diego; all in order to enlist into the Marine Corps. My left eye is prosthetic, and I have been fighting for two and a half years now, trying to find some way to just be given a chance to show whoever I need to that I have what it takes. I have just written to my Congressman, David Wu, and am asking for any help he may be able to add. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks for those who do. :)

I'm sorry, bro, but the guys are right. With one eye, you lack crucial depth perception. You would not be able to judge distance, properly throw a grenade, or identify vehicles and aircraft from long distance.

But even in an office position, you don't meet the initial standards for entry. There is no waiver available for your condition that I know of.

I admire your tenacity and your desire to serve! This is sad, but it is what it is, unfortunately.

There are, however, many other ways to serve! Government service, working at the Veteran's Administration, politics, etc. Don't give up! But understand that you will never serve in uniform. Start concentrating on how you CAN serve.

God Bless You, bro!

damn i feel sorry for you dude. dreaming of serving and not being able to do so. but sadly this is a fact youre are going to have to make peace with.

i hope you still get a fulfilling job you like :)

no you are not blind, but a soldier needs depth vision and 10/10 normal vision to be fully safe in a hostile and fast moving dangerous situation.
wich sadly requires 2 eyes to have.

i know it sucks man, and yeah maybe you could fight, and you would do good, but what if you cant judge something right, like saying distance from were your buddys are and one of them dies because of that. its just not safe.

Who says I won't be able to judge distance? Throw a grenade? Identify vehicles...??? I'm not completely blind. :evil:

At ease there, hoss. My initial post was not rude or condescending in any manner, so there is no need for you to reciprocate bad vibrations.

I told you: this sucks for you. I am NOT happy about it. I was Infantry, and I would LOVE for you to know that experience.

But the fact is that one eye is not adequate for proper depth perception - God gave us two for a reason.

The man that posted above me, Team Infidel, is a Major in the Army that works in places you and I would be denied any access to. He knows his stuff. Even he is telling you that you're hosed. And you are.

None of us like it. But facts are facts. You do not meet the qualification standards. I didn't write them. No one in this thread writes them. No one in this thread can possibly supersede them. It is what it is.

I am sorry, my friend. I am honestly and truly sorry.

i know your story pal,i've been there,im wearing glasses and my eyes are,hmm not fine.i wanted to join an Infantry brigade called Givati,but the army says my galsses prevent me from joinning there,so i did all i could to join that Brigade,wrote letters,went talking to the miilitary doctors saying how much i want to help my country and give every thing i can,yet they refused.
i know how frustrating this can be,belive me,im joinning the Armor crops in July,and i dont know what ill do in the tank,i dont think they would let me be either the gunner or driver,so i realy understand you.

as they guys sayd,bless you,i know it dosent sounds good to you,but your country and every country needs men like you!

vision and dental waiver

Hello guys my name is Daniel
Ive went to mesp about a week ago and they told me i need a dental and vision waiver,so i went to eye doctor got every test you can get done they told me my eyes are fine and with glasses my vision will be 20/25 in each eye, i told recuiter this witch is a army recuiter by the way that i have letter from doctor that im god to go, he said it wouldnt help. its been a life long dream of mine to joine the military and serve my county.
can anyone help me out with info

I feel for you guys, but the situation is not about you.
The military is a team and requires qualified team players.
Some situations cannot be wavered changed or compensated for.

All the free loaders and shirkers avoiding service who could if the would, but they won't.
Then you who want to but never can. My sympathies and respect for your efforts.

It's not only about depth perception. Your field of vision is severely limited to just one side of your face. This means that you cannot effectively pick up movement and light from the side of your face that is affected. You become a liability to those around you. In combat, it's just not worth it to take such a huge risk. Especially on someone who the military doesn't even know if they'll pass bootcamp.

Just because you can't serve ACTIVE doesn't mean you can't server. Find your local Marine Corps League and start to volunteer. Right now there is no way you can join the USMC. That doesn't mean that you don't already have the attitude and mentality of a Marine. Articulate to them your passion and respect and you may get the opportunity to get an honorable mention.

I know it isn't the same. But if less than 1% of the popluation of the US earns the title, surrounding yourself with those that have honorably served is the next best thing.

Last edited:
Back