English War Bow

Lyceum2

Banned
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The English war bow, nowadays know as the longbow became much feared and renowned during the the hundred years war.Though there seems to be no widely agreed range, draw weight or armor piecing capability.I have read many authors opinions and have came up with my own.

A max range of around 250 yards, a draw weight of 80-120 lbs
and could piece all armor(with bodkin arrows), except very rare full plate, at a range of 50 yards or less.

If any one has differing opinions please respond.

how would that be so.......
anyways what I have heard is that the english Longbow draw weight was 100lbs. and had a range of 300 yards.

I seem to have misplaced the citation for the article but Dr. Ress a Professor of physics studied the English Long bow and wrote his conclusions in his article "The Longbow's Deadly Secrets" This article was carried in a professional journal. I forget wich one.

His conclusions were that the long bow had a range of 150-200 meters and speed of 130 km/h and with long bodkin type arrows could penetrate 1.5mm of steel.

i remember seeing on TV that the remains of people who used long bows had larger bones on their hand which pulled the bow back since they were training bow from a young age.

can you imagine the arm muscles on those guys, heh, they would make arnie look small :D well maybe not but it would be rather impressive

Few argue that the two greatest bows in history are:
1.) The English Longbow
2.) The Mongolian Recurved/Composite Bow

Both cases saw significant deformation, disproportionately huge arm muscles and lots of broken fingers.

Back