From 'Enemy at the Gates'

Acerbus

Not quite a war quote, but I loved this ditty from the commisar near the end.

'I've been such a fool, Vassili. Man will always be man. There is no new man. We worked so hard to create a society that was equal, where there'd be nothing to envy your neighbour. But there's always something to envy. A smile, a friendship, something you don't have and want to appropriate. In this world, even a Soviet one, there will always be rich and poor. Rich in gifts, poor in gifts. Rich in love, poor in love.'
-Danilov, Enemy at the Gates

Khruschev: Vodka is a luxury we have. Caviar is a luxury we have. Time is not.

Khruschev: You won't give up the bridge! I don't care if you lost half your men! Lose the other half! Lose yourself!

Danilov: For them it's a choice between German bullets and ours, but there's another way; a way of courage, a way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again, we must tell magnificent stories, we must make them believe in a victory. We must give them hope.

Zeitsev: All these men here know they're going to die. So, each night when they make it back, it's a bonus. So, every cup of tea, every cigarette is like a little celebration. You just have to accept that.

Konig: He isn't dead, and do you know why? Because I haven't killed him yet.

Back