Easy way to find out something

May 29th, 2005  

Topic: Easy way to find out something

Hello all!! My dad was in the army during the Vietnam era and he only served 2 years. I was wondering, without going to him, how is the easiest way to find out what awards and ribbons and units he was with during that time. I would like to buy him a display case with all his things in there. I know it'd mean alot to him to get one.

If you can help, please let me know. Thanks!!
May 29th, 2005  
This post belongs in the military discussion forum.
May 29th, 2005  
I'm not exactly sure how you would find out without asking him, except to maybe ask him to show you all his stuff.

Ask him what each award is and then write it down.
June 1st, 2005  
I was told by someone I am stationed with to ask for his 214, but I don't know if he'll still have it after 30+ years. I know mine will be framed, but that beside the point..hahaha

Thanks for your help.
June 4th, 2005  
Goto VA website and they should have a link to inquire about the military issued items. You will have to send in a form with his name, dob, SSN, and time in service. Being that he is still alive you may get limited information but it's worth a try. I am in the process of doing the same thing except I am including both my grandfathers as well as my dad. All three have passed away and I wanted to do something to remember each of their time in service. Good Luck.
I will try to find the exact information for you and post it here when I have more time.
November 24th, 2010  
If you want to find a DD-214 you could also try the courthouse of the county where the servicemember returned to after discharge. It used to be recommended to have your 214 recorded as a legal document in case something happened to the original.