East V.S. West

--

July 26th, 2004  
dsj

Topic: East V.S. West

Let's have a talk by responding to this thread. The time period is from the Ancient to the Renaissance. After that the west dominated. So please talk about the time period I mentioned.
July 26th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

I think you're right in that the West's development sped up considerably while the East has started to slow down.
July 26th, 2004  
dsj

Please talk about the time period only.
--
July 26th, 2004  
Mark Conley

im guessing djs means europe vs asia, from time of first established european culture (greeks?) to the point when europe emerged from the dark ages and science, literature, and art flourished (1400s to 1600 AD.)

good luck.
July 26th, 2004  
dsj

I'll make the start. I believe than the western europeans have been the strongest military power since the time of ancient greeks. Some examples include nicopolis where even outnumbered and seperated from the hungarian army, the french knights were able to break all turkish lines but the last. The turkish composite recurve bow that was supposed to shoot over 500 yards proved totally unable to stop the french calvary charges even after it has been weakened after many fights. This shows that the longbows are much more capable.
Siege of vienna-a 325000 ottoman force got defeated by 27000 european troops. the legendary janissaries got again and again defeated by the european arquebusiers and pikemen.
July 29th, 2004  
Darkmb101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsj
I'll make the start. I believe than the western europeans have been the strongest military power since the time of ancient greeks.
have we forgotten the Mongols and Genghis Khan? Apperently the Mongols from the east, developed better military weapons and strategies on their conquest to create an empire throughout all of Europe and Asia.
July 29th, 2004  
dsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmb101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsj
I'll make the start. I believe than the western europeans have been the strongest military power since the time of ancient greeks.
have we forgotten the Mongols and Genghis Khan? Apperently the Mongols from the east, developed better military weapons and strategies on their conquest to create an empire throughout all of Europe and Asia.
The mongols were nothing but a bunch of barbarians. They did not invent anything except their good old bow. They learned everything from other countries. All they have is their good training, large numbers and the legendary durability which no one else was even close to. The chinese were stronger than the mongolians at the time but they were too corrupt. They were held back by the europeans and retreated. this shows that the europeans are no weaker than them.
July 29th, 2004  
Darkmb101

It doesnt matter if they developed their weapons and tactics or not, all that matters is that the Mongolian military was better prepared to win the war.
July 29th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Yep. The Mongols were far better prepared than the europeans.
July 30th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmb101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsj
have we forgotten the Mongols and Genghis Khan? Apparently the Mongols from the east, developed better military weapons and strategies on their conquest to create an empire throughout all of Europe and Asia.
The mongols were nothing but a bunch of barbarians. They did not invent anything except their good old bow. They learned everything from other countries. All they have is their good training, large numbers and the legendary durability which no one else was even close to. The chinese were stronger than the mongolians at the time but they were too corrupt. They were held back by the europeans and retreated. this shows that the europeans are no weaker than them.
It has to be remembered that but for a freak accident where Ghengis Khan fell off his horse and was killed, these 'barbarians' would have conquered all of mainland Europe right up to the Atlantic. In 1227AD the Mongols had just defeated a combined force of 40,000 Knights in Poland, the cream of European nobility - there was 'nothing' left to stop them laying waste to ALL of Western Europe...

From there it's very likely they would have invaded Britian and conquered that country too and also spread right down into the Iberian peninsula.