Eagles' McNabb does it all

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/80989,CST-SPT-mnf03.article
46 years later, Bednarik recalls winning NFL title EAGLES 31, PACKERS 9
Big second half turns close game into blowout

October 3, 2006
BY ROB MAADDI
PHILADELPHIA -- Donovan McNabb juked and jived the way he did early in his career. Brett Favre had a throwback night, too -- to his days of erratic interceptions.

McNabb ran for two touchdowns and threw for two others, leading the Philadelphia Eagles to a 31-9 victory Monday against the Green Bay Packers.
Favre, meanwhile, would like to forget about this game. He misfired badly on several passes, including two interceptions that led to Eagles scores. He left with a slight head injury late in the fourth quarter, but Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he didn't think it was serious.
McNabb finished 16-for-30 for 288 yards and had 47 yards rushing. He scored on runs of six yards in the second quarter and 15 yards in the fourth and connected with Greg Lewis on scoring passes of 45 and 30 yards in the third.
''I decided to go back to my style of play,'' a smiling McNabb said, ''and if the opportunity is there, take full advantage. ... I saw that [Indianapolis Colts quarterback] Peyton Manning scored [Sunday], so I had to outdo him.''
Once a feared runner, McNabb had only 55 yards rushing in 2005. He was limited by injuries and missed the final seven games last season with a sports hernia.
''He kept running on us,'' Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman said. ''We were all trying to bring him down. He eluded a number of sacks. Just give him some credit. He's a good player.''
Favre was 22-for-40 for 205 yards and had a passer rating of 44.2. He didn't speak with reporters after the game, and a team spokesman said he was complaining of headaches.
''It's in his head, a stinger,'' McCarthy said. ''I think he will be fine.''
Playing without injured running back Brian Westbrook (sore knee), the Eagles started slowly and trailed 9-7 at halftime after three field goals by the Packers' Dave Rayner. Correll Buckhalter, who started for Westbrook, lost two fumbles inside the Packers' 5 in the first half.
But McNabb used his legs to ignite the offense and lead the Eagles (3-1) to their third victory of the season by a double-digit margin.
''A sign of a good football team is you can buckle down and change the wrongs to rights,'' Eagles coach Andy Reid said. ''There were good things we did in the second half. It wasn't flawless.''
On the first possession of the third quarter, McNabb twice kept the drive going by running for first downs on third-and-10. He got 14 yards on his first dash and juked for 12 more to the Packers' 42 on the second one.
David Akers then kicked a 40-yard field goal to give the Eagles a 10-9 lead, and they never looked back. The Packers (1-3) have lost nine consecutive road games against the Eagles since a 49-0 victory in 1962.

Back