E-Readers (Kindle, Sony Reader, Nook)

Duty Honor Country

My wife asked me what I would like for Christmas. After a few days of thinking I thought a Amazon Kindle would be good. Having something that could hold 1,000 books on a deployment would be very nice. She got me what I wanted and I have had 2 weeks to play with my new toy.

SO far I have been thoroughly impressed. I have downloaded around 60 books for free. Older books written without copy rights are generally free. My downloads include Ben Frankin's auto biography, the Count of Monte Cristo, the Republic (and other works by Greeks of that time) and the memoirs of Grant, Sheridan and Sherman are just to name a few. I also bought The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire 6 volume set for $0.99. If I bought it in book form I would have spent $80.

For all you who read alot I would highly recommend you take a look at e-readers. Things like highlighting text and book searches would have come in handy while I was going after my history degree. Each model has its advantages depending on what you are looking for.

Redleg...this is not spam :viking:

Got a Kindle

I just gont a Kindle myself and I really wish I had it on the deployment I just got back from. It is convenient. I have read 2 books on it so far and have nothing but good things to sya about it. Currently reading the Anti-Federalist papers ($0.99 from Amazon). Have to look around for some other books to read also. You can email documents to the email that kindle sets up for you when you buy one and it will conver them for you and send them to your kindle. Have not tried it yet but might be kinda cool if it works. Just be careful about copyrighted stuff.

Most 90% of my books are of the free kind. I love the lack of copyright laws in old books. I took the time to copy and paste my collection. You are about to enter the reading world of DHC...

Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant Volume 2, Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant Volume 1, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Theocritus, translated into English Verse, Roman life in the days of Cicero, The Rough Riders, The Last of the Mohicans; A narrative of 1757, Life of George Washington Volume 01, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Laws, The Communist Manifesto, Petty Troubles of Married Life, The Story of Rome from the Earliest Times to the End of the Republic, Thoughts of Marcus Aurelius, The Count of Monte Cristo, Life and Adventures of Colonel Daniel Boon, The Mountains of California, A Life of Gen. Robert E. Lee, Democracy in America Volume 2, Democracy in America Volume 1, The Memorable Thoughts of Socrates, Little Wars; a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books., History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, all six volumes, The Life, Adventures & Piracies of the Famous Captain Singleton, Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining, A Christmas Carol, The Iliad, Ethics, Last of the Great Scouts : the life story of Col. William F. Cody, "Buffalo Bill" as told by his sister, Politics: A Treatise on Government, The History of the Peloponnesian War, Ancient Rome : from the earliest times down to 476 A. D., The Republic, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, Personal Memoirs of P. H. Sheridan, General, United States Army Volume 1, Personal Memoirs of P. H. Sheridan, General, United States Army Volume 2, Memoirs of Gen. William T. Sherman Volume 1, Memoirs of Gen. William T. Sherman Volume 2, Military Reminiscences of the Civil War, Volume 2 November 1863-June 1865, Andersonville Volume 1 A Story of Rebel Military Prisons, Andersonville Volume 2 A Story of Rebel Military Prisons, Army Life in a Black Regiment, The Afghan Wars 1839-42 and 1878-80, Whig Against ToryThe Military Adventures of a Shoemaker, a Tale of the Revolution, Forbidden books of the original New Testament, A History of Freedom of Thought, The Age of Chivalry, Civil Disobedience, A Brief History of Panics and Their Periodical Occurrence in the United States, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, How to Live on 24 Hours a Day, Beowulf, Through the Brazilian Wilderness, The Ruins, or, Meditation on the Revolutions of Empires and the Law of Nature, On War Volume 1, Essays on Political Economy, How to Camp Out, Leading at a Higher Level, Revised and Expanded Edition: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations, ePub, Homebuyers Beware (Intro & Chapter 1): Getting the World's Cheapest Loan, America, Welcome to the Poorhouse (Intro & Chapter 1): Why You Can't Retire from a 401(k) Plan: You Won't Have Ten Times Your Salary in Your Account at Age 65, Econosphere (Preface & Chapter 1): Born with a Loaf of Bread, A Narrative of the Life and Adventures of Venture, a Native of Africa, but Resident above Sixty Years in the United States of America, Related by Himself, The Writings of Samuel Adams - Volume 4, Life of Tecumseh, and of His Brother the Prophet With a Historical Sketch of the Shawanoe Indians, The American Patriot's Almanac: Daily Readings on America, The Story of the 6th Battalion, The Durham Light InfantryFrance, April 1915-November 1918, Crack! and Thump: With a Combat Infantry Officer in World War II, The Critique of Practical Reason, Over the Top, True to the Old Flag A Tale of the American War of Independence, The Record of a Regiment of the Line Being a Regimental History of the 1st Battalion Devonshire Regiment during the Boer War 1899-1902, The War With the United States : A Chronicle of 1812, Reminiscences of the Military Life and Sufferings of Col. Timothy Bigelow, Commander of the Fifteenth Regiment of the Massachusetts Line in the Continental Army, during the War of the Revolution, Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War, Washington and His Comrades in Arms; a chronicle of the War of Independence, The Soul of the Indian, Indian Heroes and Great Chieftains, 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask, Personal Memoirs of a Residence of Thirty Years with the Indian Tribes on the American Frontiers, History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of Michigan, Affluenza (CL), Anti-Federalist Papers, Second Treatise on Civil Government, My Life and Work, Up from Slavery: an autobiography, The Road, Swan Song, , Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat, 5000 Year Leap: 30 Year Anniversary Edition with Glenn Beck Foreword, Treasure Island, Dracula, The War of the Worlds, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The Good Soldiers, The Long Road Home: A Story of War and Family, Courage After Fire, A Discourse Upon the Origin and the Foundation Of The Inequality Among Mankind, The Advancement of Learning, Personal Memoirs of a Residence of Thirty Years with the Indian Tribes on the American Frontiers, The Journals of Lewis and Clark, 1804-1806, Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome, When Technology Fails (Revised & Expanded): A Manual for Self-Reliance, Sustainability, and Surviving the Long Emergency, Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse, How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It

To look for free books organize your book search at amazon to "price lowest to highest." Then start clicking next. The books above are a result of at least 6 hours of searching. I figure I found a few you may want. The ones near the end are books I paid for.

Last edited:
I bought my husband the Nook and he loves it. He's deployed to Afghanistan right now and its one of the things thats helping fight the boredom. We did our research on it vs. the Sony or the Kindle and the nook just seemed like it would be easier while deployed. He's got all kinds of nerdy motivating books on there to keep him busy. I'd rather him read then watch a constant flow of Movies like he did last deployment.

Back