Drill Instructor's Antics

Padre

Milforum Chaplain
For basic drill training we had a fairly tough and straight-shooting Drill Instructor whom we called "Chief." Most feared him and no-one messed with him. During our Parade Drill exam however, he surprised alot of us with a one-off demonstration of his humour.

It was someone's turn to lead the squad. The Chief told him what he wanted him to do and then the guy called us to attention and did his best to carry out the Chief's instructions from memory. In the middle of marching, during moves that required the squad leader to be out in front, the Chief all of a sudden rushes between us the the squad leader and motions to us to stop and keep quiet. Then we all watched as the poor squad leader continued his routine of barking out orders - but all by himself out on the parade ground without realising he had "lost" his squad. It was very funny and the Chief roared with laughter. We couldn't believe he had it in him. It made a few of us a bit more relaxed who had their turn coming up to lead the squad.

wow that is hilarious, that DI would have his ass handed to him if he tried that here in the states :). thats good htough.

Same thing happened to me in Basic. I was the guideon barrer, and all the sudden I look back and see the entire platoon stopped 20 feet back with the Drill laughing his :cen: off

It seems like comedic talent is a pre requisite for these guys ... and mean. Hey I have a question....................................
Can a First Sgt promote a pvt to a pfc or corporal say under extreme circumstances like their is nobody left or is that always the company commanders choice?

It seems like comedic talent is a pre requisite for these guys ... and mean. Hey I have a question....................................
Can a First Sgt promote a pvt to a pfc or corporal say under extreme circumstances like their is nobody left or is that always the company commanders choice?

Nope. It is always the Company Commanders choice. E2-E4 promotions are handles on a 4187 but unless they are outstanding or a complete screwup, promotions are automatic.

Back